Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery pops up out of nowhere

tag
Freefall
Regular Contributor

Portfolio Recovery pops up out of nowhere

Boy, they sure do watch when you start to clean up your credit reports!

Last week I received a notice from Portfolio Recovery for an account from FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF OMAHA. Since I never heard of FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF OMAHA I sent Portfolio Recovery a Validation letter. Here is what I got back and it has me confused...

Re: Verification Information Concerning PREA Account/Reference No. 99999999999999 - FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF OMAHA

The following information is being provided in response to your recent communication concerning the account referenced above. Account Number 99999999999 and its proceeds were sold, assigned, and transferred by FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF OMAHA to Portfolio Recovery Associates on 4/3/2007. At the time of the sale, the Seller provided an electronic file of its business records concerning this account. According to the Seller's records, there was due and payable from FREEFALL to the Seller in the sum of $465.27 with respect to the account, as of 4/30/2007, there being no known un-credited payments, conterclaims, or offsets against this account at the date of its sale.

Here is a summer of additional information listed in the electronic file for this account:

Original Creditor's Name: FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF OMAHA

Account Holders Name Provided by Seller: FREEFALL  (correct real name)

Account Holders Last 4 digits of SSN: 9999 (correct real SSN)

Date Account Opened Provided by Seller: 8/6/2001

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, my memory is bad, but I would remember something from 2007. Nowhere did they provide the DOFD and since they seem to have all the right info on me I can only go by the account opened date and assume that the DFOD was shortly thereafter. At least not up to 2007.\

This CA does not show on my credit reports (another clue that it is probably SOL). 

Is this a "valid" validation? If so, how can I determine if it is SOL? What would my next steps be?  I don't need this hitting my reports now!!!!!!!!! Im mortgage shopping... Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery pops up out of nowhere

If the account was sold 4/3/07, wouldn't DOLA pretty much mean the time it can be inserted is almost up?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, if you did research and found that FNBO didn't buy out any companies you did business with, and you are 100% certain the debt isn't yours, then call the police. Get a report filed for ID theft and that report can be used to dispute it to get it off. Based on what your posted, the CC would have been good and positive for a few years (beginning in 2001) before going south.

IMO, per the FDCPA, they validated. ETA....realized they didn't report yet. ETA2...try calling FNBO to see if they have any last statements. That'll determine DOFD.

Out of curiosity, did you opt out before applying for a mortgage?

Message 3 of 5
Freefall
Regular Contributor

Hi llecs,

Yes, I opted out some time ago - maybe early last year.

The item is not listed on my credit report at all. They sent me a letter, I DV'ed them and received the above reply.

I used http://binbase.com/search.html to try and get some info on the supposed original account number (which looks like a credit card number and it returned the following; https://www.dropbox.com/s/i407f80lae19x1c/20120621112311.png

Good idea to call FNBO, as really have no clue about this supposed account Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 5
Freefall
Regular Contributor

I called the OC yesterday. They searched for me by name, name and city, and also by SSN. They have no record of me. They said that either indicates that I never had an account with them or the account was purged when it was sold. They did say that it was odd that they didnt have any info because if it was sold in 2007, they would normally still have "something" in the system.

I sent Portfolio another letter stating that I was not disputing or acknowledging the debt was mine and that I would like a copy of the "electronic file of its business records concerning this account. According to the Seller's records". Hopefully they will send that I can see whats up (and find out what the DOFD really is!).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.