Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio called on 11 year old debt

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Portfolio called on 11 year old debt

I am planning a small APP spree in a few weeks so of course i received a call from Portfolio Recovery tonight. DGF gave me the message and i immediately called and spoke to a "lovely" lady (eeeeeek). I informed her "i do not do business on the phone and will need any info sent to me via mail". I also informed her "there is no convenient time to call, ONLY send info in writing". She informed me the bill was some 2 digit collection from 2003 that is now $700+. I said "seems to me it's about 5 years outside of my states SOL so i may make a deal and pay it when i can. Send me an offer to PIF for ONLY the original amount and DO NOT CALL HERE AGAIN"

did i make any mistake by returning the call or anything i said?

Jeeesh, rebuilding credit's hell sometimes. I will NEVER... EVER miss a payment again unless im dead, comatose, or hell freezes over.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Re: Portfolio called on 11 year old debt

11 year old debt, boy business must be getting slow for them.  

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 2 of 9
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Ignore it.  Out of SOL so they can't sue, out of credit reporting limit, and if it gets posted, you can dispute it as obsolete.   Paying has no benefit to you.

Message 3 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Yeah i havent burned anyone in 10 years, i would'nt feel real guily filing it in the trash. thanks for the quick posts.

bring it on Portfolio....   "Me, You, and DebtorBoards"   

Message 4 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If they keep harassing you just send them a cease & desist letter and they'll drop it and move on to other people's zombie debts.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Portfolio is just 'hoping' that they will reach someone who will cave.  Fat chance with the information forthcoming here. 

Cease and decist and be gone Portfolio!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're the same ones that called me about a 9 year old account.
Message 7 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

My, they are getting disparate.  Soon to follow, Midland. Smiley Embarassed

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 9
nikkiheaven
Contributor

They reached out to us too; saying my husband owed 2 debts from 2001.  We didn't recognize the debt, so he said he could dispute it, and we can make arrangements for the others.  I nearly laughted him off the phone.   UUM, don't dispute, and don't call again please.  LOL!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.