Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio keeps pulling me CR!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio keeps pulling me CR!!

I just looked at my Experian report and I saw that Portfolio has pulled my report 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The most recent was yesterday. Ugh. This is so annoying. I feel violated. It's there no way to stop this??
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Portfolio keeps pulling me CR!!

No.  It is proper.

Debt collectors have permissible purpose to obtain a consumer's credit report as long as they have active collection authority.

They do not need your permission.

Message 2 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

No.  It is proper.

Debt collectors have permissible purpose to obtain a consumer's credit report as long as they have active collection authority.

Agreed, unless it becomes excessive and becomes a harassment issue.  But that would be for a court to decide.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

No.  It is proper.

Agreed, unless it becomes excessive and becomes a harassment issue.  But that would be for a court to decide.

I would certainly consider more than once or twice a month to be harrassment, particularly if they are doing HPs. If they are doing multiple HP's in a week, then their obvious intention is to further pull down your scores via excessive inquiries. Absolutely no valid reason, IMO, for pulling several times in a single week.

Message 4 of 27
toi34
Established Contributor

That would piss me off to no end too! I would send a cease and desist letter and consult with a consumer protection attorney. Also send a complaint throufh the CFPB.

Message 5 of 27
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no provision for instructing  a debt collector to cease and desisit from their legitimate business activities.

The FDCPA provides only for a consumer sending a debt collector a cease communication letter.

That does not extend to requiring them to cease other legitimate collection activities.

There is no violation of the FDCPA or the FCRA upon which to base a complaint with the CFPB simply for exercising a permissible pull of a consumer credit report.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My report said that those inquiries are seen only by me and they aren't affecting my score. But still, I'm being watched without my permission. It sucks and feels like a violation of privacy.
Message 7 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
My report said that those inquiries are seen only by me and they aren't affecting my score. But still, I'm being watched without my permission. It sucks and feels like a violation of privacy.

Then there is nothing that can be done.  They own one of your debts and they are soft pulling your records.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 27
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

They are doing the same thing to my reports too (soft pulls every month) I wonder if "opting out" would derail them? They havent bothered me in a few years...I settled CapOne last week, and low and behold...here they come out of the woodwork!!

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that would do anything. You can cease and desist so they won't contact you but as long as you owe them money, they can pull your reports as often as they want. At least it's a soft pull so it doesn't hurt your score. Portfolio closed my account so they are deleting their entries from my reports!! Hallelujah!!
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.