Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of disputing judgement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possibility of disputing judgement?

I went to court for a debt i owed back in 2011. The representative from the company ended up leaving so the judgement was never awarded. However, the judgement still shows up on my credit report. Status simply says "Filed"...I am guessing because it wasn't awarded. The statute of limitations in MS where I live says the debtor only has 3 years to collect and that time has been over. Could I possibly dispute the judgement on file since it was never awarded? I am not denying the debt. Just the validity of the judgement at hand.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possibility of disputing judgement?

@Anonymous wrote:
I went to court for a debt i owed back in 2011. The representative from the company ended up leaving so the judgement was never awarded. However, the judgement still shows up on my credit report. Status simply says "Filed"...I am guessing because it wasn't awarded. The statute of limitations in MS where I live says the debtor only has 3 years to collect and that time has been over. Could I possibly dispute the judgement on file since it was never awarded? I am not denying the debt. Just the validity of the judgement at hand.

SOL for a debtor to sue is often different than a judgement enforcement time period.

An unresolved lawsuit would not appear on your reports as a judgment.... "Something" is not right here. You need to contact the court and get all of the filings on the case.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possibility of disputing judgement?

If you are sure it was never awarded, go to the courthouse and straighten it out, submit docs to the big 3.    If it was a default judgement, find out if it was dismissed or "set aside".     

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.