Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible ID Theft!!!

tag
Erica1
Regular Contributor

Possible ID Theft!!!

I don't know where else to post this but if it's true, I'm sure I'll have to fight to get it taken care of and some rebuilding to do so I guess this would be the right board.  I just checked my Scorewatch and a CA has appeared with the OC listed as USBank.  I haven't had a USBank account, or even lived in a state where we have them, for 5 years.  When I closed the account, I did it because I was switching banks, didn't owe money to them or anything.  So why would this CA magically appear???  I racked my brain and this is all I can come up with...

Well, as I was thinking back to when I closed the account, I recalled I was living with a roommate at the time.  This roommate let someone stay with us for a few weeks who was definitely not of respectable character, which led to my moving out.  My rent money (I worked as a bartender so kept my rent in my drawer in my room in cash) came up missing.  So now this leads me to wonder if this person possibly took a blank checkbook from the closed account as well!  How else could I owe them money??? 
I hope I'm jumping to conclusions and it's something that's not even mine and shouldn't be listed.  I'm sure after 5 or 6 years the bank wouldn't have a signature card on file anymore so I'm worried there won't be anyway to prove I didn't write bad checks, if that's what it is. 

But wouldn't a bank have sued me for bad checks when it happened if that was what it was, not send it to a collection agency 5 years later? 
I tried to get a credit report online from equifax (it's not listed on experian, which I did get), but apparently there's a fraud alert, or some other reason I can't request it online, on my account so I'm going to have to do it by mail and worry even longer.  Ugh!

2/22/13: TU-716, EX-702, 4/24: EQ-749
2/20/14: TU-695, EQ-671
Goal: mid-700's
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible ID Theft!!!

Hey Erica, sorry to hear this. The bank wouldn't necessarily sue you for bad checks, but they would likely send you to ChexSystems. You need to check on this to make sure you are not listed with them. Also, you should file a police report.

The bank should have the signature card on file--should be filed electronically, as well as in some warehouse somewhere. You will have to sign an affadavit of forgery. When did you notice this showing up? Have you pulled CRs recently and it's not been there, then voila, here it is?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
Erica1
Regular Contributor

Yes, I've been checking regularly.  It is listed as being reported Dec. 1.  This is the first time I've checked since then.  I had cancelled Scorewatch around Spetember and just resubscribed...glad I did.

I just took your advice and filled out the online form for my free chexsystems report.  It didn't give me any information or order number after I filled it out, is it sent through regular mail, not viewed online? 

I really hope I'm jumping to conclusions on this...it seems like it's going to be a big pain to fix after this long if this is in fact what happened.

Message 3 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Because you no longer live in that state, they may have had a dickens of a time catching up with you. It'll work out.

Message 4 of 12
Erica1
Regular Contributor

But now that I think of it, if I were registered with Chexsystems, wouldn't I not be able to obtain a bank account?  I have accounts with both BoA and Wachovia and both were opened years after this would have occurred.
Message 5 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Unless it happened some time after the situation occurred. Actually, you don't know yet when the fraud occurred. The unsavory character may have only used the account a couple of years ago, who knows at this point. You should also contact the US Bank office (probably corporate in Minneapolis) to get down to the bottom of this. It's not going to be easy, as they are so huge and that was potentially a long time ago.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know, no guarantees, but:

About 3 months ago, I pulled our CRs and found a listing from our CU stating that they had closed our checking for overdrafts. It had turned out that we went over our checking and didn't realize it (apparently, a check that I had deposited from a client bounced and I had forgotten to check it since they've always been good about payment in the past). Within a week, they just took the OD out of our "linked" shares account and it was paid off BUT it still reported to the CRAs as a CO.

So, REALLY concerned, I called them and spoke to someone in the collections office (figuring that was the best person to talk to) and not only did she remove the tradeline entirely, she also checked ChexxSystems for me to see if there was anything else on there I should know about.

(I'm HOPING that wasn't a no-no -- she's an awesomely nice lady and the last thing I want is to get her in ANY trouble)

Do you belong to a credit union? If so, perhaps they could do that for you, too. That way, you wouldn't have to wait for an answer.

*crossing fingers*
I hope it turns out to be something easily fixed!! Good luck!!
Message 7 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Wonderin wrote:
You know, no guarantees, but:

About 3 months ago, I pulled our CRs and found a listing from our CU stating that they had closed our checking for overdrafts. It had turned out that we went over our checking and didn't realize it (apparently, a check that I had deposited from a client bounced and I had forgotten to check it since they've always been good about payment in the past). Within a week, they just took the OD out of our "linked" shares account and it was paid off BUT it still reported to the CRAs as a CO.

So, REALLY concerned, I called them and spoke to someone in the collections office (figuring that was the best person to talk to) and not only did she remove the tradeline entirely, she also checked ChexxSystems for me to see if there was anything else on there I should know about.

(I'm HOPING that wasn't a no-no -- she's an awesomely nice lady and the last thing I want is to get her in ANY trouble)

Do you belong to a credit union? If so, perhaps they could do that for you, too. That way, you wouldn't have to wait for an answer.

*crossing fingers*
I hope it turns out to be something easily fixed!! Good luck!!
A charge off after a week? That seems rather harsh.

Message 8 of 12
Erica1
Regular Contributor

No, I don't belong to a credit union.  Guess I'm just going to have to get my credit report and DV them to (hopefully) find out what this is for.  I did request a chexsystems report last night so maybe that'll shed some light as well.  I'm just so concerned about the length of time it's been since this (I think) would have happened.  I just know that this can't be anything having to do with an overdraft because I closed the account and it was in good standing. 
Message 9 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Please keep us posted every step of the way.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.