UNITED ILLUMINATING #xxxxx xxx xxxx xxx

Date Opened: 05/29/2008

Account Type: OPEN ACCOUNT

Date Updated: 03/2009

Last payment: 01/27/2009

Payment Received: $0

High Balance: $0

Pay Status: Account 120 Days past Due

I do not remember opening this account! Very VERY possible an old roomate switched the utility to my name using my information!

I spoke with 1 of the two roomates I had that year, asking if it was possible the other person would've done this.. My suspicion was confirmed, that person would do these things any day.. sneaky SOB!

Should I send a letter to United Illuminating disputing the account?

How can I prove I did not open this account myself (given that I DID LIVE AT THE ADDRESS at the time!)

FICO Score: 644
NPSL$500$300$500$528

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible Identity theft by old roomate!

File a police report for Identity theft. submit the report to the CRA's they will however place a fraud alert on your files. That would be my first start!!!

Message 2 of 7
Amerabian
New Contributor

If they're going to place a "Fraud Alert" on my credit reports, isn't that going to hurt my credit reports/scores??

This is unbelievable..!!! I've been looking through my reports for a few days now and I just noticed this entry.. is..not..mine...!

I'm going to file a police report RIGHT AWAY, but that person is out of the country.. hopefully for good!

What should I do after that??

FICO Score: 644
NPSL$500$300$500$528

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, a fraud alert does not hurt your CR or your scores.  It just makes creditors go the extra mile to confirm it is in fact you requesting credit.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, file a police report and send it to the CRA, but not necessarily to request a fraud alert.   Send it to get the reporting immediately blocked from your CR under the provisions of FCRA 605B. 

You dont have to prove a negative.  That is the reason for the identity theft provisions under the FCRA.  You need only make a sworn statement before a law enforcement agency that you never authorized the account or transaction that is appearing in your credit report.  Take the credit report with you to the police station as basis for showing their act.  You need only assert, not prove, that it appeared as a result of potential identity theft.  They may ask if you know or suspect who used your identity, to which you must respond truthfully.

You can separately request a fraud alert, but this appears to have been a limited, prior issue with little likelihood of recurrence.  You may not want a fraud alert.

You can also send a copy of the police report to the creditor and compel them, under the provisions of FCRA 609(e), to provide you all business records in their possession related to that information, which you can then use to show that it was not your authorization.

Message 5 of 7
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Yes, file a police report and send it to the CRA, but not necessarily to request a fraud alert.   Send it to get the reporting immediately blocked from your CR under the provisions of FCRA 605B. 

You dont have to prove a negative.  That is the reason for the identity theft provisions under the FCRA.  You need only make a sworn statement before a law enforcement agency that you never authorized the account or transaction that is appearing in your credit report.  Take the credit report with you to the police station as basis for showing their act.  You need only assert, not prove, that it appeared as a result of potential identity theft.  They may ask if you know or suspect who used your identity, to which you must respond truthfully.

You can separately request a fraud alert, but this appears to have been a limited, prior issue with little likelihood of recurrence.  You may not want a fraud alert.

You can also send a copy of the police report to the creditor and compel them, under the provisions of FCRA 609(e), to provide you all business records in their possession related to that information, which you can then use to show that it was not your authorization.

It is going to be tough to do this. I had to go thru this same process with a couple of credit cards that my old roommate opened in my name. GO file a police report but do not be suprised if nothing happens. It took ALOT of letters on my end to finally get them to remove the stuff from my credit report.

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CRA does not necessarily need to remove it, just block it from being seen by any other creditor.  So if someone pulled your CR it would not show.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.