cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to improve score by 50 points in 1.5 years?

tag
Calidreaming
Regular Contributor

Possible to improve score by 50 points in 1.5 years?

Hi. First time poster here.

I used to have an excellent 750 plus credit score and over 20 years of nearly flawless  credit history until October 2013.  I had gotten a loan for a work van for my husband for his business.  I had entrusted the payments of the van to him.  Big mistake I know.  Some of his clients were slow in paying him and he let the van payments slide, unbeknownst to me.  The first I realized the payments were late were after the van got repossessed.  I then immediately redeemed the repo and aince then have made sure the van payments are made on time.

My hubby and I are looking to buy a home in less than two years.  My credit scores since the foreclosure are good enough to get a conventional mortgage, but not at the best rates.  Transunion is the lowest at 684.  Equifax is at 697. Experian is at 711.  I understand to get good rates and terms you need about a 720.  We are going to buy with me as the only borrower on the mortgage because my credit is significantly higher than hubby's and my income alone is probably enough to get the kind of house we want, which was hurt badly after his messy divorce.  His is around 640.

So is it possible for me to increase my credit around 50 points in 1.5 years?  The biggest thing affecting my credit right now according to TU is the repo, but I also have a lot of credit card debt that we are now aggressively paying down.  I'm hoping the combo of the passage of time and the paying down of the debt will get us to the 720 mark.  Or should we consider a GW letter or other means of getting the repo removed from my credit history?  Any advice is appreciated!!

P.S.  I know my hubby sounds like a very irresponsible person from what I've posted.  He's really not bad at all.  He's just not that credit savvy and is uncomfortable with loans or credit of any kind.  Although I have the better credit, he is actually better at sticking to a budget.  Ironcially, for me, my spendthrift ways over the years have earned me a high credit score because I have a pattern of generating large balances which I pay off over time.--the credit card companies ideal customer.  We have worked on our communications about finances and I have resolved to pay more attention to any loans I take out on his behalf.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Salad77
Established Member

Re: Possible to improve score by 50 points in 1.5 years?

I'm not sure if this will help much but speaking from experience (I spent 12 years as a Mortgage Banker, and still do loans on the side) while a 720 will get you the best rate on a conventional loan you are only 3 points away from getting a much better rate than what was originally quoted to you.

Not sure where you pulled your credit, I would imagine your lender pulled it for you, if they did they're going to use your Mid Fico of 697.

At 697 you are in the 680-699 tier which is not bad at all, but if you can pay a credit card down or off and get to a 700 you will see much better numbers in terms of what you qualify for. 

The best is 720 (or above) as you mentioned, but to be honest I don't think you really need 50 points to get the best rate out there. 3 points will get you a much better rate and 23 points will get you the best. Anything over a 720 in the mortgage world is considered the same so if you're a 721 or an 821 you'll likely get the same rate. 

The good news is you're not far off at all.. Personally, I would shoot for a 700. If you have a revolving tradeline like a CC that you can pay down, I would try that route and have your lender do a 'rapidrescore'...  Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
mackowl
Established Member

How long do you have to wait after a foreclosure to get approved?

Message 3 of 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@mackowl wrote:

How long do you have to wait after a foreclosure to get approved?

It seems some financial institutions realized that people were strategically walking away from their underwater mortgages, but maintained payments, and credit cards after dumping the house. This is the new target to getting home loans again. It won't be quick, I'm sure, but be prepared for a microscope inspection of your financial history, work records, and FF reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.