cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to re-open a card that's been closed and charged off?

tag
oogy
Contributor

Possible to re-open a card that's been closed and charged off?

Rather than doing a PFD or GW, has anyone had any luck getting a bank to re-instate an account that has been closed/CO in exchange for PIF?

Particularly, I'm interested in Capital One and Amex.

I read a thread on here about doing a saturation style campaign to get a GW letter approved and have adapted that to my needs.

I just prepped about 15 letters to mail to various Capital One addresses (and will email as well) explaining why I defaulted in the first place and making my request.  I am considering doing a similar campaign for Amex as well.  

I figure the worst case is I wasted several dollars on stamps and brightly colored envelopes (figured I might as well make it stand out) - best case I just got a major boost on my credit score (while also taking care of some past debt that I'm eager to have resolved).

In the meantime I'm curious to know if anyone has accomplished something like this with Cap1, Amex, or another bank - or if I'm fighting a losing battle to begin with?

Wish me luck!

rsz_2016-12-17_144501.jpg

(I realize the pink one doesn't have the last line of the address in that picture)

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible to re-open a card that's been closed and charged off?

I have not heard of it being done, today even with good closed cards no one I know re-opens them you have to re app and get a new account.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever pay them?

The best method of GW with Cap1 is email the CEO. Google Capital One ceo email address.

I had 2 Cap1 charge offs GW deleted using this method.

Once an account is charged off they will never reopen the account.

Message 3 of 14
oogy
Contributor

No, I haven't paid yet - that's what I'm trying to arrange.  I'm *not* talking about a typical GW letter (just said I had adapted what I'd read about someone else's GW efforts to my own goal), I was/am hoping that I could arrange to PIF in exchange for re-opening the account.  

I realize they're not going to just GW delete it without me paying... just curious if there's actually an even better outcome that could be achieved than a delete because I'd much rather have an account with them than to just have it deleted off my score.

Sounds like that's unheard of though based on what you guys are saying?

Going to give it a try anyway just in case.

Been battling health stuff for the past couple of years and just getting to a point where I am hoping to take care of some of this and looking for a creative way to get back where I'd like to be.  Willing to do it the "normal" way if I have to but just hoped this might be an option.

If I can't get this to happen, I'll begin working on the "normal" route.

I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oogy wrote:

No, I haven't paid yet - that's what I'm trying to arrange.  I'm *not* talking about a typical GW letter (just said I had adapted what I'd read about someone else's GW efforts to my own goal), I was/am hoping that I could arrange to PIF in exchange for re-opening the account.  

I realize they're not going to just GW delete it without me paying... just curious if there's actually an even better outcome that could be achieved than a delete because I'd much rather have an account with them than to just have it deleted off my score.

Been battling health stuff for the past couple of years and just getting to a point where I am hoping to take care of some of this and looking for a creative way to get back where I'd like to be.  Willing to do it the "normal" way if I have to but just hoped this might be an option.

I understand.

But they won't under any circumstances reopen your account.

I wish you continued success getting your health back.

Message 5 of 14
oogy
Contributor

*sigh* 

Alright, I knew it was a longshot.  Thought I'd heard of someone doing something like this in the past, but that would've been long enough ago that policies have probably changed substantially since then.

Thanks for the well-wishes!  Still have a long road ahead, but feels great to be doing well enough that I can start to get some of this sorted finally.

@Anonymous wrote:

@oogy wrote:

I understand.

But they won't under any circumstances reopen your account.

I wish you continued success getting your health back.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does a collection agency own the Capital One account that is charged off?

Message 7 of 14
oogy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, they still own the debt.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oogy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You could call and work out paying them and then start your GW campaign. How long ago was the chargeoff?

Message 9 of 14
oogy
Contributor

Looks like it was charged off June 2015 - so about 1 1/2 years old.   Assuming it's paid, how much time normally has to pass before they're open to a GW deletion? (I reallize YMMV)

@Anonymous wrote:

@oogy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You could call and work out paying them and then start your GW campaign. How long ago was the chargeoff?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.