Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible zombie debt and score issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible zombie debt and score issue

There's a few questions.

1. I haven't had AT&T since probably 2006 or 2008. Yet back then it was in my credit report at 149 dollars. It got sold. Now it's on again since 2013 now at 190 dollars with Afni. What in the world can I do about it? I have a similar issue with direct TV. Haven't had them since 2008 yet they popped up again.

2. My scores were 630, 598 and 592 in March. I signed up for myfico and got my 3b report. Suddenly all these old (within the 7 years however) "renewed" and dropped me to 580, 587, and 570.
HOW can they do that and why? They already dropped my scores with the original placing on credit report. How can they keep dropping just because they are re sold? Isn't that against some law?

3. Why doesn't myfico show original dates? I tried to get all 3 from the annual report site and 2 refused to go through so I only got one. I can never figure that crazy site out. I get messed over everytime I use it. Have never gotten all 3. And waiting a year just to get screwed again really hurts.
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible zombie debt and score issue

@Anonymous wrote:
There's a few questions.

1. I haven't had AT&T since probably 2006 or 2008. Yet back then it was in my credit report at 149 dollars. It got sold. Now it's on again since 2013 now at 190 dollars with Afni. What in the world can I do about it? I have a similar issue with direct TV. Haven't had them since 2008 yet they popped up again.

2. My scores were 630, 598 and 592 in March. I signed up for myfico and got my 3b report. Suddenly all these old (within the 7 years however) "renewed" and dropped me to 580, 587, and 570.
HOW can they do that and why? They already dropped my scores with the original placing on credit report. How can they keep dropping just because they are re sold? Isn't that against some law?

3. Why doesn't myfico show original dates? I tried to get all 3 from the annual report site and 2 refused to go through so I only got one. I can never figure that crazy site out. I get messed over everytime I use it. Have never gotten all 3. And waiting a year just to get screwed again really hurts.

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

1. A derog can only be reported for a max of 7.5 yrs from the OCs DoFD to reage an account would be illegal, you need to determine the actual DoFD and then contact them with a direct dispute if its over the 7.5 yrs with a demand for immediate deletion, if they give you trouble you then file a complaint with the CFPB.

2. Perfectly legal as long as they can still be reported its a weapon they use to try and force you to pay up. Even though the CO happened years ago Fico looks to the status update date to calculate your score and updating them inflicts max Fico pain. You want to settle them with a PFD if possible.

3. If you are referring to drop off dates the CRA is responsible for figuring out the exclusion date from the reported DoFD. You need to obtain reports thru the mail to get all the scheduled drop off dates.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much. I'll start working on all of that.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is unclear as to how the account is now reporting.

Until details are provided as to what is being reported under the account, it cannot be determined whether it is accurate and whether any info  being reported is in violation of any credit report exclusion provisions.

FCRA 605(a) sets mandatory exclusion periods for any adverse item of information in your credit report.

If you have an account reporting that has been closed since 2006 or 2008, then it has now passed the normal credit report exclusion periods for any monthly delinquencies (max of 7 years from their dates of occurence) and for any charge-off (7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD).

Additionally, any other adverse item of information is subject to exclusion no later than 7 years from its occurence under the "catch-all" exclusion provision of FCRA 605(a)(4).

That begs the question as to whether the account currently shows any adverse item of information.

If it shows a balance and was closed back when, that infers a current delinquency status must also be reported.

That would be an "adverse item of information" that is itself subject to credit report exclusion.

In summary, it appears that accurate reporting of an account that still has an apparently delinquent balance would require lack of any referecne to delinquency.

Can you reproduce or explain what negative info is being reported, such as a derogatory current status?

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

More investigation needs to be done on this.  If the account was defaulted on when you said it was, then this would be a case of reaging.  But you will need to get everything lined up.  I would suggest a direct dispute to deal with this.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.