Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly good news?

tag
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Possibly good news?

So I live in WA state & went to the courthouse today to find out if the CA had filed the Satisfaction of Judegement/Payment paperwork(which they had). While there when she was on the computer doing something just before I was going to pay for the copies of paperwork, she said "Oops, I accidentally just closed the case". Then she said she had to re-open the case so she could bill me for the paperwork copies or something, and then she just said "Nevermind, here ya go", and handed me the copies of paperwork without paying for it.

After I got home I checked the status of this case online on a whim, and sure enough, the status is closed, but I'm not sure what that means really. All I want is the judgement listing off my CR. I was going to do that by getting a Vacate filed due to it being paid, which I read is possible in WA state.

Anyways, I dunno if a "closed" status is the same or similar to a Vacate as far as just getting it removed from my CR, or is it just a clerk note of some such? I left a message with a local civil attorney & am waiting to get a call to see what they think this all means.

Hopefully this is good news as far as getting this removed from my CR. Everything has been paid in full & I just want it delelted from my CR now.

Also, the courts wouldn't let me file a Vacate on my own; they said I had to have an attorney do it for me which doesn't sound right, especially considering local attorneys want several hundred bucks to do what I think I could do on my own.

This whole thing has been a fiasco, from them not serving me notice until a year after the judgement had been filed or whatever. Hell the copy of the summons I got from the clerk has the company name spelled incorrectly on it for Heavens sakes lol. I think it's too late to worry about that since it's been over 2 years since I finally got served & I already paid it off, etc...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possibly good news?

Satisfaction will not get the judgment off your CR it has to be vacated and that can only be done by the judge after the appropriate motion has been filed. The judgment will update to a paid judgment with the satisfaction.

Message 2 of 7
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Yeah I plan on vacating based on being paid.

Message 3 of 7
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

The only way to get it vacated after payment is to ask the plaintiff to file a motion to vacate.  You have no standing for a motion to vacate.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

The attorney listed has been asked to file a vacate. We are just waiting to hear back.

Message 5 of 7
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Also, I did an online dispute with TU for my 3 paid judgements(2 are listed as paid, 1 is not). I basically disputed 2 of them asking for a goodwill early deletion as well as saying the filed date was incorrect(which it was). One of the items was completed a few hours after I submitted the online dispute, so not sure if thats a deletion or just a correction. It says estimated finish date is 5/1 so I guess I have to wait 30 days to find out or buy a credit report to see earlier perhaps?

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Most states that permit vacature of a judgment based on its satisfaction do so on a basis of relief to the consumer.

A consumer can submit such a motion on their own behalf without involvment of the counsel for the plaintiff.

Have you checked out the rules of civil procedure for your state for a prohibition against pro se (by one's self, without an attoryney) motions to vacate?

Many attorneys for the plaintiff, will as a matter of practice, decline to submit any motions on behalf of the opposing party.

It can be considered as a representational conflict, as their duty is to their client, the plaintiff.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.