Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Post Chapter 7 Discharge: What else should I be doing?

Not sure of my FICO score prior to my Chapter 7 discharge in August 2013. However, my current FICO EQ is 653. I was approved for a Cap One Platinum Mastercard ($1000 CL) approximately two weeks after discharge and added as an authorized user on a Barclaycard Platinum Mastercard ($24000 CL). The Cap One Platinum Mastercard is enrolled in the "Credit Steps" program. Two store charge cards remained open through the Chapter 7 and currently have $500 and $3370 credit limits. My total utilization rate (as calculated from my credit reports monthly) for these four credit cards is less than 12 percent with balances paid in full monthly. I have two installment loans ($146K) in the form of student loans from medical school. I'm aiming to regain a good credit profile (FICO >720), but realize it will take some time. I've already reviewed my credit reports for errors and made sure these errors have been resolved. All my open accounts current and in good standing. My AAoA is 6 years 8 months. The only credit inquiry listed on my credit report is from the Cap One card I was approved for post my Chapter 7 discharge. 

1.  Any advice on what else I could be doing to improve my credit profile/score?

2.  I would like to get more than the typical $500 CL increase associated with Cap One's Credit Steps program. I have been paying the balance in full with payments ranging from $200-$670 monthly. My annual income has increased to greater than $75K. Will the frequent usage and large payments relative to the credit limit/minimum due increase my chances of a larger credit limit increase?

Cap One $1K; Barclaycard (AU) $24K; Maytag $3370; Aber&Fitch $500

Chapter 7 Discharge Aug 2013 Starting Score: Oct. 2013 EQ FICO 651
February 2016 EQ FICO 699 Mortgage 716
February 2016 TU FICO 688 Mortgage 738
February 2016 EX FICO 693 Mortgage 742
Cap One QS World MC $11k; Cap One Venture Sign VS $15k; NFCU VS Sign Cash Rwds $16.1k; NFCU Plat VS $11k; Barclay Rwds MC $2000; Lowes $12k; Neiman Marcus $2k; Barclaycard (AU) $24K; Discover (AU) $15.5k New Mortgage January 2016
GOAL 715 FICOs on ALL 3 CRs by OCTOBER 2016
Epic Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Post Chapter 7 Discharge: What else should I be doing?

For optimal FICO scoring, let all but one card report 0 balances and the other at 9% or below.  Then pay it off before the due date so as not to incur interest charges.  FICO does not like seeing all cards report a 0 balance or all cards with a balance.

And yes, frequent large purchases and paying it off on time lets lenders see you are capable of handling larger CLs.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Post Chapter 7 Discharge: What else should I be doing?

Thanks. The balance on the Barclaycard (AU $24K CL) is approximately $2900 with 0 percent interest; Cap One $200; $0 balance on the two store cards.

FICO EQ: 653; FAKO EX: 686; FAKO TU: 686
Cap One $1K; Barclaycard (AU) $24K; Maytag $3370; Aber&Fitch $500 
Chapter 7 Discharge Aug 2013 Starting Score: Oct. 2013 EQ FICO 651
February 2016 EQ FICO 699 Mortgage 716
February 2016 TU FICO 688 Mortgage 738
February 2016 EX FICO 693 Mortgage 742
Cap One QS World MC $11k; Cap One Venture Sign VS $15k; NFCU VS Sign Cash Rwds $16.1k; NFCU Plat VS $11k; Barclay Rwds MC $2000; Lowes $12k; Neiman Marcus $2k; Barclaycard (AU) $24K; Discover (AU) $15.5k New Mortgage January 2016
GOAL 715 FICOs on ALL 3 CRs by OCTOBER 2016

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.