Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Medical Collection Advice

tag
ucibaqt
Valued Member

Potential Medical Collection Advice

Here's a quick rundown. I went to the ER the end of October. Received ONE bill in Decemeber without any insurance credits or adjustments. I randomly called yesterday to inquire about the status of the bill and to pay the remaining balance. I was told the account was sent to collections in January. I asked how could that be I only received one bill and had not received a collection notice yet. Called the CA and was told the account was still in process. The kind CA representative told me she would send me a statement and if I remitted payment to the OC then it would no longer be in collections. I called the OC and told them about the in process status and the OC acted like my payment wouldn't be accepted. Who should I beleive? Should I just send in the payment once I get the statement or should I try to get something in writing? I would really hate for this to become a paid collection, I would rather it never report of deleted once it reports. Any thoughts on next steps?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Potential Medical Collection Advice

@ucibaqt wrote:

Here's a quick rundown. I went to the ER the end of October. Received ONE bill in Decemeber without any insurance credits or adjustments. I randomly called yesterday to inquire about the status of the bill and to pay the remaining balance. I was told the account was sent to collections in January. I asked how could that be I only received one bill and had not received a collection notice yet. Called the CA and was told the account was still in process. The kind CA representative told me she would send me a statement and if I remitted payment to the OC then it would no longer be in collections. I called the OC and told them about the in process status and the OC acted like my payment wouldn't be accepted. Who should I beleive? Should I just send in the payment once I get the statement or should I try to get something in writing? I would really hate for this to become a paid collection, I would rather it never report of deleted once it reports. Any thoughts on next steps?

The good news is this crap will be stopped within the next 18 months as a landmark settlement with the CRAs last month over reporting of certain items with the NY State AG will take medical collections nationwide off the CRAs radar for 6 months to allow time for bills to be adjusted and payments received from insurers. You can read about it in the Credit In The News board     http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Credit-Bureaus-Agree-to-Overhaul-Reports/td-p/384...

This is the standard run around, here is the order you should follow to resolve medical collections, dont let anyone bully you, get to the administrators office if you have to.

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.