Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Praxis Financial - aggressive bordering on verbally abusive

tag
windupbird
New Contributor

Praxis Financial - aggressive bordering on verbally abusive

Hi - I jus got a call at work today from Praxis Financial today for an old HSBC Orchard CC debt.  I don't dispute the debt but I don't have anything in writing from Praxis (I did receive letters/bills from Cavalry and then Phillips & Cohen).  The guy from Praxis kept talking over me, threatening to "take the next step", that it's about time I "own up to my debt".  I had to talk over him to get a word in edgewise.  I told him that it I had never heard of Praxis before and that I wanted to get something in writing from them, and that I don't want calls at work.  I googled Praxis and apparently they are a total nightmare to deal with.  This debt is on my list to pay but I don't wan to be harrassed, I need something in writing and I don't want to be sued.  I have nothing that shows they own the debt now.  Should I send them a debt validation letter, telling them to communicate with me only in writing?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
acrylic51
Regular Contributor

Re: Praxis Financial - aggressive bordering on verbally abusive

Since you googled them send them a DV letter to verify the debt......If they call and start harassing remember that phone works both ways, simply hang up.....I would also state in my letter to cease the work phone calls as well........

Starting Score: 7/12 545 EX (PSECU)
Current Score: 689 EX (PSECU) / EQ 697 / TU 703
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Do you know the DOFD of the account?  What is your states SOL?   This is information you need to find out!  And yes, send them a DV, since you have not received a dunning letter from them it would be considered timely.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They were required under FDCPA 809(b) to have sent you formal dunning notice within 5 days of any initial communication with you.

If they did not do so, then any DV you send will be timely, and will envoke a total cease collection bar on them.  That will place them in serious violation of the FDCPA if they continue any collection activities without having first provided the requested debt verification.

If they failed to send dunning notice,then I would also shoot off a formal complaint to the FTC of their violation of section 809(b). 

That will require their explanation back to the FTC.

Message 4 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

ok so what I did about this one was I called them and said, I want to pay this account in full, however I have checked my files and I have NO record of anything from Praxis (have old HSBC Orchard statements, notices from Cavalry and Vision Financial, but nothing from Praxis.  I asked them to mail (second time in a week) me a letter or even email me a letter.  The rep stated that they could not email me a letter unless I email them first ("privacy reasons").  OK fine....she gave me their email and I sent them this note, but they did not reply.  Do you think they are mailing me something or should I try to call Vision and Cavalry?

Hi,

I spoke with (rep name) at Praxis Financial today.  She recommended that I  send an email requestiing information about my account at Praxis to allow Praxis to send me a statement/dunning letter regarding the account via email.  I need Praxis to confirm in writing the details of the debt that it is attempting to collect on (I believe that it is an old HSBC/Orchard credit card account).  The amount owed as of today is $597.18.  I would like to pay the full amount owed on October 26th, 2012.  I will call Praxis to arrange payment only after I receive a dunning letter or invoice via email or USPS at the address below:

(my name)
(my address)

I am asking that you please cease to call me at my work  number 000-000-0000.  Please call me on my cell # 000-000-0000, or communicate with me in writing via email: (my email) or at the above-listed address.

Thank you,

(my name)
I just want to pay this bill!!!!!!  Am I just being impatient?  The email was sent on Tuesday or Wednesday, I think.
Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Letter looked OK to me.   Maybe they can't validate, especially after you used the term dunning.  They might have figured you you know something about this sort of stuff.  Smiley Happy

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

ok, I did get a letter from Praxis.  I had been told by one of their reps last week that they don't PFD.  Should I send them a PFD letter or ask for a supervisor when I call-they are really obnoxious on the phone.

Message 7 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send in a PFD,  see what they send back.

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

ok, so here is where I am with this.  I did get a hard copy of a dunning letter 3 weeks ago USPS from Praxis and I actually received an email from a manager with a pdf of the dunningletter.  I thanked him and requested PFD.  No response.  I will still pay, then GW?  Do you think my score will drop when I pay?  I was going to send a GW letter USPS this weekend to the same manager that I emailed.  If that doesn't work, I will GW the CEO of the CA.

Message 9 of 11
windupbird
New Contributor

Bump

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.