Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-emptive advice

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Pre-emptive advice

I had asked a home improvement contractor for a quote to do something, including x and y. He provided an estimate that alas did not clearly list y but I didnt notice. But there was no signed agreement. When I got the bill, he claimed that y wasn't included it is an extra and tried to tack on an extra fee, and bill twice for something. We had never discussed any extras, either, and he is charging about 10x the cost. As he did a terrible job, he did not finish we had to finish ourselves, and left it looking terrible in a couple places, we refused to pay any more than the estimate.

I know he can place a lien but with the amount it seems not worth his time. If he hires a collection agency would this be easily disputable? Any advice on how to proceed? I have considered paying and then filing complaints. He is a small time guy who isn't BBB accredited but he is licensed.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pre-emptive advice

@Peter1142 wrote:
I had asked a home improvement contractor for a quote to do something, including x and y. He provided an estimate that alas did not clearly list y but I didnt notice. But there was no signed agreement. When I got the bill, he claimed that y wasn't included it is an extra and tried to tack on an extra fee, and bill twice for something. We had never discussed any extras, either, and he is charging about 10x the cost. As he did a terrible job, he did not finish we had to finish ourselves, and left it looking terrible in a couple places, we refused to pay any more than the estimate.

I know he can place a lien but with the amount it seems not worth his time. If he hires a collection agency would this be easily disputable? Any advice on how to proceed? I have considered paying and then filing complaints. He is a small time guy who isn't BBB accredited but he is licensed.

Since there was no signed agreement he would have as much trouble proving it as you do. I would just wait and see if he does anything or not, if he is smart he will let it drop. Depending on the state you are living in a lien may not be able to be filed since there was no signed deal between the parties. If he gets stupid use the BBB..

Message 2 of 3
polno1234
Contributor

Re: Pre-emptive advice

on a side note i highly doubt he was a legal contractor. they need a license and will provide you with a written contract to protect themselves as well as you.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.