Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-summons, Midland Collection Agency, First Premier Bank, HELP

tag
canondvd
Established Member

Pre-summons, Midland Collection Agency, First Premier Bank, HELP

Today I received a letter in the mail from a local lawyer.  It was and advertisment offering his services noting that "Court records show that there might be a lawsuit filed against you."  I looked up my name on my county court website and found... 

FILING DATE: 03/24/2014

FILING TYPE: SMALL CLAIMS > $500 - $1,500

PLANTIFF: MIDLAND FUNDING LLC

Then under Event Date it shows: 04/24/2014, 9:00am, TYPE: RETURN - SUMMONS 

Under Summons Service Date it is blank.  I have not received a summons yet.  

This is already on my credit from First Premier Bank & Midland (It was Asset Acceptance but they must have sold the debt to Midland). Amount Owed: $849.  There must be interest/fees added to that since the credit limit was only $625. I was laid off for 18 months in 2009-2010 so this was a result.  

Last Payment Made: 11/2009

Date Closed: 03/2010

Per TransUnion: Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 11/2016

Per EQ: DoFD: 1/2010

I can likely scrape together the $849.  What should I do?    What should I not do?    What does the Event Date (TYPE: RETURN - SUMMONS) mean?

Having not received a summons yet is there anything I can do to avoid having something new on my credit report (judgement?)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: Pre-summons, Midland Collection Agency, First Premier Bank, HELP

I would call the court directly and see if you have a case scheduled. Every state is different in how "service" occurs. In my state a creditor can send a notice via regular mail and you are considered served, even if you don't live there. This happened to me last year when the hospital's attorney filed against me, sent the notice to my old address that I had moved from the previous year. Since I never received the notice I did not appear and a default judgment was entered against me last year. I found out about it when I got a ScoreWatch alert. I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow to see about it being vacated.

If you can get the funds together, I would pay it off before you get served/scheduled for court. Trust me, you do not want to be in judgment land.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 8
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

What is your states SOL?

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 3 of 8
canondvd
Established Member

I'm in Illinois. So is that like 7 years?
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

CC debt in IL falls under a 5 year or 10 year SOL.    An IL Appellate Court ruled 5 years but any judge can rule differently.

Either way, it is still within the state SOL and I would try to settle before court;  Making absolutely sure they drop the case and you get that in writing.

Message 5 of 8
canondvd
Established Member

So I should not wait for a summons?  If I have the money to pay it in full I should just contact the collection agency and make payment?  

Message 6 of 8
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

I'd try my best to settle before the summons, if possible. Getting everything in writing if paid the summons will be vacated. Good luck

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 7 of 8
canondvd
Established Member

I've always read not to contact a collection agency via phone.  Any suggestions as to how to make payment on this?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.