Did you mean: 

Precision's New Beginnings

tag
precision
Contributor

Re: Precision's New Beginnings

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Precision,

You are doing great.    It seems you have a relatively thin file, but that's ok.

It's tricky using cards with low limits, but doable.  Use for small amounts, pay, rinse, repeat.   The optimal scores will come when 1 card reports a less than 10 percent balance with the remaining cards reporting zero.   Cap one will have you in their "credit steps" program, where you will get an automatic increase after 6 statements and you may get an increase after 3 statements if you ask via the credit line increase request online.    

An installment account will help, read this:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756

NFCU is awesome, and I joined via the Navy League San Diego, if you are interested read this:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont-qualify/td-p/4598275

Thanks for the input.  I am going to go the NFCU route soon and either get an installment loan there or through this small bank I keep in my back pocket.  But I am considering closing that account if I get the NFCU. 

I plan to use the cards to autopay certain bills.  Clearly the QS1 will be for small stuff like Netflix.  Thanks for providing me some next steps.  Looking at alot of threads around here I see that if I do what I am supposed to do I can be over 700 next year.

Message 31 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a great post on getting a Share Secured Loan with Alliant on one of the boards that might be beneficial. They only do soft pull for membership and soft pull for SSL. Joining Navy Federal would be a hard pull for each product. I just joined Navy Federal and got pulled TU twice for membership and credit card. 

I'm still in the rebuild process as well. You have 3 cards now and according most post on here 3 is a good number to have. Have you the read the "How to 700 in 2 years..." post? It's very insightful as well. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Message 32 of 67
precision
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a great post on getting a Share Secured Loan with Alliant on one of the boards that might be beneficial. They only do soft pull for membership and soft pull for SSL. Joining Navy Federal would be a hard pull for each product. I just joined Navy Federal and got pulled TU twice for membership and credit card. 

I'm still in the rebuild process as well. You have 3 cards now and according most post on here 3 is a good number to have. Have you the read the "How to 700 in 2 years..." post? It's very insightful as well. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-p/1384075

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756

Thanks for the links.  I think my process  might be a little different considering that I didn't have a BK and I already have 3 decent cards. (i think they are decent cards with awful limits for this point in my journey)  I am hoping that by having clean reports and making sure I use the proper UTI and PIF each month I can maximize my score as soon as possible.

I am definitely going to find a secured loan option ASAP.

Also, thanks for the warning about the HP's from NFCU.  I had no idea.

Message 33 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@precision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-p/1384075

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756

Thanks for the links.  I think my process  might be a little different considering that I didn't have a BK and I already have 3 decent cards. (i think they are decent cards with awful limits for this point in my journey)  I am hoping that by having clean reports and making sure I use the proper UTI and PIF each month I can maximize my score as soon as possible.

Process will be the same regardless of BK or revolving accounts. The only factor to consider is if you already have an installment account. A second one does not help.

Message 34 of 67
precision
Contributor

So my BOA account finally updated with the new card.  I am able to see the card number and information about the card.  But I have yet to receive the card.

I called to get cash rewards added to the card as I have seen alot of reports online about people being sucessful with that.

I got shot down.  The rep said that it was not possible to add to a secured card.  I called a reported backdoor number for secured accounts.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Message 35 of 67
precision
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@precision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Process will be the same regardless of BK or revolving accounts. The only factor to consider is if you already have an installment account. A second one does not help.

Thanks again for the input. 

I have a question about utility.  I am seeing two schools of thought regarding utility.

The first is if you have a low limit that you should use the card as much as possible and just make sure you PIF before the statement cuts or just PIF as soon as you see the balance report online.  For instance, I have a super low QS1 SL.  Everything I read says I need to use it alot to get them to to raise the limit within 3 months and to get a good limit at the 6 month mark with credit steps.

The second is that you need to keep you utility less than 10-30 percent and always PIF.

So which is it?  I pay great attention to detail and will not miss a payment just because I "forgot."  So is it okay for me to use the cards as much as possilble and just make sure to PIF before the statement cuts?  I plan on at a minimum paying the balance on the cards once a week.  Also, keep in mind that I am not going to be using them every day.  I am blessed to be able to work from home so the only usage of the cards will be on the weekends making it super easy for me to keep tabs with what is going on.  I am not a big shopper (online or otherwise) so that is not an issue. 

I want to be able to use these cards as tools to get my FICO up ASAP.  I am not interested in buying things just to buy stuff or living beyond my means.  I will just be using the cards to handle items that I normally would with  my BOA debit card.

Message 36 of 67
precision
Contributor

Oh, I neglected to mention in my earlier post about BOA that they also offer a FICO 08 from Transunion at no charge.  I signed up for the program and currently have "No Score Available."

In all of my reading I had not seen anyone mention that.  That is a nice perk that I was not expecting.

Message 37 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@precision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@precision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again for the input. 

I have a question about utility.  I am seeing two schools of thought regarding utility.

The first is if you have a low limit that you should use the card as much as possible and just make sure you PIF before the statement cuts or just PIF as soon as you see the balance report online.  For instance, I have a super low QS1 SL.  Everything I read says I need to use it alot to get them to to raise the limit within 3 months and to get a good limit at the 6 month mark with credit steps.

The second is that you need to keep you utility less than 10-30 percent and always PIF.

So which is it?  I pay great attention to detail and will not miss a payment just because I "forgot."  So is it okay for me to use the cards as much as possilble and just make sure to PIF before the statement cuts?  I plan on at a minimum paying the balance on the cards once a week.  Also, keep in mind that I am not going to be using them every day.  I am blessed to be able to work from home so the only usage of the cards will be on the weekends making it super easy for me to keep tabs with what is going on.  I am not a big shopper (online or otherwise) so that is not an issue. 

I want to be able to use these cards as tools to get my FICO up ASAP.  I am not interested in buying things just to buy stuff or living beyond my means.  I will just be using the cards handle items that I normally would with  my BOA debit card.

Its not an either/or situation. Don't confuse UTI with card usage. You can have super high card usage, but low UTI by paying the balance down before the statement closes. And by the same token, you can have very high UTI but low usage by charging it up and just paying the minimum.

UTI is ONLY the statement balance, nothing else.

FWIW, when rebuilding, don't worry too much about UTI, because it has no "memory" from month to month -  just keep it in control so that you can peak your scores by paying it down to below ten percent any time you want, in order to prepare to apply for something big, like auto or home loan.

Message 38 of 67
precision
Contributor

Its not an either/or situation. Don't confuse UTI with card usage. You can have super high card usage, but low UTI by paying the balance down before the statement closes. And by the same token, you can have very high UTI but low usage by charging it up and just paying the minimum.

UTI is ONLY the statement balance, nothing else.

FWIW, when rebuilding, don't worry too much about UTI, because it has no "memory" from month to month -  just keep it in control so that you can peak your scores by paying it down to below ten percent any time you want, in order to prepare to apply for something big, like auto or home loan.

Thank you for breaking that all the way down for me.  With the amount of discourse and debate on this subject here and on other forums I needed that explained to me like i was a 5 year old.

Message 39 of 67
precision
Contributor

I am like a kid waiting for Xmas to get these cards in hand and have them report to the CRA's.

Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.