Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing for first DV and/or PFD questions

tag
liesierre
Regular Contributor

Preparing for first DV and/or PFD questions

Hi

I have 3 things in collections that I would like to get resolved. I may let the biggest one age off, possibly 2. Theres one that I absolutely need to do a PFD for for sure. All of them are outside the SOL and with a CA.

The one I really need to do a PDF for is $128 for a Comcast bill that won't age off until 2018. The other 2 will age off September 2014 and June 2015. 

I was told to send a DV first - is this really necessary?

I know that its to have them validate the debt, but if I'm already sure the debt is mine and accurate and I really just want to pay it and get rid of it asap, is there any reason why I shouldn't just go straight to a PDF letter? I have no qualms about paying $128 if it will get it off my record quicker. It seems like sending a DV first would drag out the process by a few months. Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe I just don't fully comprehend the goal of the DV...?

I found some examples of DV's and PDF letters, but this will be my first time sending one. Any pointers? 

Basically I would just copy/paste the examples, change the info to pertain to me, then send it certfied mail return receipt requested? Is that correct?

I'm still new at this, but I'm trying my best. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ 633 TU ? EX 623 (lender)
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 720 EX 682
Goal Score: 720

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Preparing for first DV and/or PFD questions

First and foremost, the DV process only has teeth if your DV is timely, meaning it is sent either prior to having received dunning notice, or within 30 days after its receipt.

A timely DV imposes a cease collection bar on the debt collector until they choose to provide the requested verification.

An untimely DV imposes nothing upon them.

Even if timely, sending a DV is not, in my opinion, always the best course.  The cease collection bar that is imposed by a timely DV will also bar them from any negotiations on payment of the debt.  Thus, it also places the consumer in limbo until such time as they might choose to reply.  You cannot compel their response within any specific time period.

Message 2 of 4
liesierre
Regular Contributor

I haven't received anything for these collections in a long time. The only reason I'm really aware of them now is because they're on my credit report and I want to get them off.

For the comcast one, should I just go straight to PFD then? I just want to pay it and get it off.

I'm not trying to dispute anything. I'm sure the debts are probably valid and mine, its just from so long ago that I don't recall getting the bills for them. I admit that I did not always pay attention to my mail. My boyfriend took over paying the utilities a long time ago, so I'm thinking the Comcast was a bill from when he switched over to AT&T U-Verse and I never saw the last Comcast bill for disconnection.

The other smaller one is for a cell phone bill from many many years ago. It will age off September of next year, but I might just pay that one and get it removed also. 

I'm just trying to figure out if sending a DV for them first is pointless in my situation or not. I would really like to just go straight to a PFD so I can resolve them quicker, unless theres some reason why a DV would be beneficial that I'm not understanding.

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 3 of 4
liesierre
Regular Contributor

Also, PFD's don't have to be sent CMRRR right? Just normal mail/letter is okay or would you advise sending them certified?

I'm going to the post office tomorrow anyway and was thinking of sending 2 PFD's. 

For the AT&T bill... it actually has the balance as this:

Original Amount Owned:$392

Balance Owned:$596

Which amount would I use in the PFD letter?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.