cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private loans falling off in September - what to expect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private loans falling off in September - what to expect?

Hi all - according to my latest TransUnion report, I noticed that three private loans are scheduled to drop off my credit report this fall according to my state's Statue of Limitations. They total about $17K, which would bring my total debt down to around 40K total (counting federal student loans at about 25K, and a car loan just under 15K). My federal loans I rehabbed and have been up to date for a year, and that raised my score by about 45 points last year. I am completely up to date on everything else currently and making consistent payments. Credit score isn't great right now, obviously because of these private loans that I neglected for so long. I am working to get my credit card utilization down right now, even with the three defualted private loans on them, according to TransUnion's simulator my score will go up by 65 points once I get my utilization under 5%, which I plan to do within a few months, as that is less than $750. So if that's the case, and My TU is at 535, Equifax is at 584 right now then after my CC utilization goes way down, that will put me at 600 for TU, and roughy around the same for Equifax (maybe more). I have accounts that are longer then my private loans, so it wouldn't be my longest account dropping off. I have four total derogs on my count, these are three of them and like I said, account for way more than the fourth, which only is $88 and I need to try to get that one off through a goodwill letter.

Assuming I get my utilization rate down, and most importantly keep it down, and my score is hanging around 600 throughout the summer while I maintain on-time payments...Should I expect to see a significant boost to my credit score from 600 when the private loans fall off?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private loans falling off in September - what to expect?

A state's statute of limitations has nothing to do with when an account will be dropped from your credit report it is the date of first delinquency that determines that. An account which is derogatory will fall off after 7 years and 180 days but the CRA usually remove them after 7 years. You can find the date of first delinquency on you complete credit report available through anualcreditreport.com for free once a year or by purchasing them directly from the credit bureau.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response! On my TU account it specifically said the account will fall of on 09/17. So my question overall is how much of a boost will my credit score get when they do fall off after the 7 years?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That will depend on whether you have other derogatory accounts that will still be on you reports and your over all credit profile. If there will still be derogatories on your reports you will not see as big of a jump but if there are no others then it could be 20 to 80 points depending on you profile.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the response!! So right now I have four derogs, those private loans make up three of them, totaling 17K. The fourth is only $88, from an old credit union years ago. I'm gonna try so hard to get that one taken off. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.