Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro's & Con's of getting a Credit Card when rebuilding Credit

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pro's & Con's of getting a Credit Card when rebuilding Credit

Nothing wrong with that. My grandfather was very successful in selling them and have a friend on the West Coast who was involved in the industry too. Before committing, I'd do a cost-benefit analysis (OK, econ nerdiness shining through) of getting a mobile home (land, hookup, moving it, fees, insurability, etc.) assuming you had perfect credit now and then comparing that to buying a home assuming you had perfect credit too. If a home is a better option, and the only thing holding you back was credit, then you have to weigh the time frame for better credit vs. waiting for that home. Make sense? I probably lost you. Smiley Sad    In other words, is the benefit for waiting for a home and leasing an apartment now greater than the benefit of buying a mobile home now and not waiting? Rhetorically asked.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can rhetorically answer!

For me it would be. With small kids, have to think about school districts, yard space, etc. A mobile home would be a temporary solution to NOT living in the 850 sf, 2br apartment we're currently in (two boys!!!) ... place to play outside... the kids don't have the mobile home "stigma" attached, they're too young, and from a credit standpoint, the smaller loan would be a good starting place.

Message 12 of 18
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

That's

@Anonymous wrote:

I can rhetorically answer!

For me it would be. With small kids, have to think about school districts, yard space, etc. A mobile home would be a temporary solution to NOT living in the 850 sf, 2br apartment we're currently in (two boys!!!) ... place to play outside... the kids don't have the mobile home "stigma" attached, they're too young, and from a credit standpoint, the smaller loan would be a good starting place.

That's our thinking as well.  We live in the suburbs, and we cannot afford a home in this area at this time- or in any area with our current scores.  We have been trying to find somewhere to rent since last March- we have 3 children (age range 12-2) lol..  We would love our OWN space, with some yard area and more sq. ft than renting offers.  Even with the lot payment and a 2003 and later double wide mobile home- it's HALF the cost of what renting something with 3 bedrooms goes for around here.  (Most of the rentals are more than what a $120,000 mortgage would be).  So I completely understand where you are coming from.  I am in my 30's and have NEVER owned a home.  A mobile home will help me feel somewhat accomplished- instead of being 30 and still renting. LOL

Message 13 of 18
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

Having lived in a mobile home park many years ago I can say for certain there is no amount of money that would ever make me go back. I would rather rent.  Smiley Wink

If you have not experienced it you are in for a shock.  If you have and you are okay with it, then you know what is best for you.  Just my $0.02.

Message 14 of 18
m29
Regular Contributor

I have to totally agree with Middleswarth!! Living in a Trailer Park (each park is different so I wish you luck) was the worst decision I ever made for my children. To OP I totally understand your situation that is almost exactly how I ended up in a TP. Thankfully only paid $4000 for the trailer, so it was easy to get out of when my financial situation improved!

Anyway back on topic! I was recently in your situation many CA accounts, CO, and many late payments with no open revolving accounts! My credit score was stagnant for almost a year until I finally decided to apply for a secured card through Capital One, Credit score at the time was 520 ouch!! It lowered my score about 5 points initially for thre inquiry! 2 months later they finally reported and boosted my score 24 points! After 6 months of charging a minimal amount and paying in full the raised my credit limit! I took a chance and applied for an unsecured No Hassles card and got approved. 2 pt ding because of the inquiry but when that one reported 2 months later I got a 30 point score increase!!! Just my experience! Good luck to you!

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 18
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

@Middleswarth wrote:

Having lived in a mobile home park many years ago I can say for certain there is no amount of money that would ever make me go back. I would rather rent.  Smiley Wink

If you have not experienced it you are in for a shock.  If you have and you are okay with it, then you know what is best for you.  Just my $0.02.

What were the bad experiences in reguard to?   

We live in a pretty yuppy suburban area- and the trailer park is very very well maintained- has strict rules on how new the trailers can be as well as how things can look outside.  A majority of the residents are older- but there are also lots of families with kids.  Many of them go to school with my kids- and honestly I was shocked when I found out where they lived. LOL  We have spent a really long time debating this decision- and just any ol trailer park wasn't going to do- but the one in our area fits our standards and criteria and we know several people living there- who are not trailer trash by any means- and they think the place is great and have no problems.

Message 16 of 18
ntg187
Established Member

On 07/12/11 I got a pull @ MyFico.com: TU - 652 / EQ - 613 / EX - ???. I then applied for a capital one rewards card which I got with a credit line of only $300. I charged a few things on the card and left the balance at $5 and did the same thing the next two months. When I got my most recent pull @ myFico.com on 10/10/11 my scores changed to: TU - 679 / EQ - 632 / EX - ???. I never noticed a dip in scores as I only do the quarterly monitoring so I get a new pull every 3 months. As you can clearly see, my scores went up as a result of the new credit line despite it being so low. You might find the same result is true for you as well. GL in whatever you do!

Starting (01/01/11) : Approx 520
Current (11/17/11) : TU-679 / EQ-656 / EX-??
Goal (01/01/13) : >780 (all)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 18
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

I had no revolving credit, applied for a $200 secured card with Orchard, and before I even got the card it was reporting and had boosted my score about 25 points.  Never saw a dip in score for the inquiry.

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.