Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Joining SDFCU

tag
smitty1
New Contributor

Problem Joining SDFCU

Declined membership in SDFCU.  Here is the denial:

State Department Federal Credit Union:Thank you for your interest in SDFCU. Unfortunately, we are unable to open an account for you using our online or Member Service channel. Our application process incorporates both an identity verification and an identity authentication component which results in a numerical score that becomes the basis for the auto-decisioning aspect of the process.

The decision regarding whether an account can be opened is directly dependent on where an applicant’s score falls within a pre-established risk-based matrix. This matrix includes ranges of acceptable versus non-acceptable scores, and those scores are reflective of the weight of each factor being evaluated in the verification and authentication processes along with their associated risk.

When an application is auto-decisioned as a “decline,” the score fell below our minimum acceptable threshold. When that happens, we are not privy to the specifics regarding what information could not be verified or authenticated due to the proprietary nature of the software being used for that verification/authentication process. In those instances, whenever it is possible, the applicant needs to apply in person at one of our branches. Should you wish to consider joining a local credit union where you live; one can be located by visiting www.findacreditunion.com. We do thank you for your interest in State Department Federal Credit Union.

Nearest branch is about 2,000 miles away. Anyone have any luck getting around this denial?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problem Joining SDFCU

@smitty1 wrote:

State Department Federal Credit Union:Thank you for your interest in SDFCU. Unfortunately, we are unable to open an account for you using our online or Member Service channel. Our application process incorporates both an identity verification and an identity authentication component which results in a numerical score that becomes the basis for the auto-decisioning aspect of the process.

The decision regarding whether an account can be opened is directly dependent on where an applicant’s score falls within a pre-established risk-based matrix. This matrix includes ranges of acceptable versus non-acceptable scores, and those scores are reflective of the weight of each factor being evaluated in the verification and authentication processes along with their associated risk.

When an application is auto-decisioned as a “decline,” the score fell below our minimum acceptable threshold. When that happens, we are not privy to the specifics regarding what information could not be verified or authenticated due to the proprietary nature of the software being used for that verification/authentication process. In those instances, whenever it is possible, the applicant needs to apply in person at one of our branches. Should you wish to consider joining a local credit union where you live; one can be located by visiting www.findacreditunion.com. We do thank you for your interest in State Department Federal Credit Union.

Nearest branch is about 2,000 miles away. Anyone have any luck getting around this denial?

I have heard of a number of people getting this denial. No one has posted a "fix" that I have seen yet. Since this is identity related, it occurred to me that maybe there is an issue with multiple versions of your name, and old addresses in your credit reports.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the same thing and they said it was because I had a fraud alert on my credit report. Yeah they do a hard pull for membership.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smitty1 wrote:

May I ask your Experian score? Isn't that the one they pull?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the same message after applying online.  I called and spoke to somone and they said that if you can't apply in person, call back in 30 days to apply over the phone.  She said that it's sometimes easier to have you identity verified by phone. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I received the same thing and they said it was because I had a fraud alert on my credit report. Yeah they do a hard pull for membership.

Normally its a Soft Pull for membership, though some people have gotten hard pulls. If you apply for any unsecured credit product, or auto loan at the same time as the membership app it will always be a Hard Pull.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing here, because of a fraud alert. Was told to remove it and to reapply in 30days.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that this likely has to do with identity verification.

My experience was as an online app for a savings account.  I was asked 5 ChexSystems questions as part of the application, and I also provided my CU account info for funds transfer ($2).  I received an email requesting my DL, soc sec card and proof of address uploaded to my pending app on their site (https).  The only issue I had was that my utility bill wasn't legible, so I needed to scan it and attach it as a reply to another email.  

The whole process took about 2 weeks.  I was notified by email that my account was approved.  I didn't have any inquiries on any of my CR's.  

Message 8 of 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I was approved and opened an account for SDFCU back in 14'. I don't even remember them doing a credit pull. To be honest I've never even used them for anything. I have $1 in my savings that they deposited LOL. I use DCU for everything. Loans, checking, savings, and I use their credit card if I plan on carrying a balance due to low APR. all my 0% aprs have passed.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.