cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process for dealing with Comcast collections?

tag
smj887u

Process for dealing with Comcast collections?

Hi all,

This will be a relatively long post but I appreciate anyone who reads through it and can give me some advice.

Last summer (2013) I had Comcast service and canceled it. I was within the 30-day guarantee window (it was literally day 30 when I called to cancel) and was told I'd have a zero balance. About two months ago I got a call from a collection agency saying that I owed $202. Further complicating things is the fact that (according to them) they're the second collection agency to have the account. I never heard anything from the first agency, but it could be due to the fact that I switched phone numbers during this time period.

Around the same time that this happened, I canceled service with them for the second time. (I'm often on the road for long periods of time so I don't always need service) Same thing happens - told there would be a zero balance because I was paid on my current bill, which made sense because I believe they bill in advance. Anyway, I call into Comcast shortly after I cancel to get information on the collections account, and I'm told that I owe not just the initial $202 but also an additional ~$60 for when I canceled the most recent time. I asked why I wasn't informed of the prior debt when I was setting up service again, since at this point it had evidently already been sent to collections, and the rep didn't really have an answer - just that the account in collections was account number XXX-001 and this one was set up as the same XXX-002, with a different subaccount number.

Despite being with two collection agencies, the representative with Comcast said that they could take payment on the balance owed.

I really don't have any experience dealing with collections agencies. This is all very new to me, I have a vague understanding of the proccess but any info or tips would be appreciated. Just from doing some reading around here and some Googling, it looks like there's a pay-for-delete process that has limited success. Problem is, I have no idea who I should be approaching with this - do I just pay Comcast directly, and then the collection accounts go away? Or do I handle it with the collection agency (agencies) that have the debts now? I don't believe that either one is valid, but I also know that it's my word against their's. I'd much rather just pay the ~$260 and have it taken off my credit than go through what I assume would be a lengthy process to dispute the debt.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Process for dealing with Comcast collections?

Do you wish to contest the debt, or to simply pay if they will consent to CR deletion?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smj887u wrote:

Hi all,

This will be a relatively long post but I appreciate anyone who reads through it and can give me some advice.

Last summer (2013) I had Comcast service and canceled it. I was within the 30-day guarantee window (it was literally day 30 when I called to cancel) and was told I'd have a zero balance. About two months ago I got a call from a collection agency saying that I owed $202. Further complicating things is the fact that (according to them) they're the second collection agency to have the account. I never heard anything from the first agency, but it could be due to the fact that I switched phone numbers during this time period.

Around the same time that this happened, I canceled service with them for the second time. (I'm often on the road for long periods of time so I don't always need service) Same thing happens - told there would be a zero balance because I was paid on my current bill, which made sense because I believe they bill in advance. Anyway, I call into Comcast shortly after I cancel to get information on the collections account, and I'm told that I owe not just the initial $202 but also an additional ~$60 for when I canceled the most recent time. I asked why I wasn't informed of the prior debt when I was setting up service again, since at this point it had evidently already been sent to collections, and the rep didn't really have an answer - just that the account in collections was account number XXX-001 and this one was set up as the same XXX-002, with a different subaccount number.

Despite being with two collection agencies, the representative with Comcast said that they could take payment on the balance owed.

I really don't have any experience dealing with collections agencies. This is all very new to me, I have a vague understanding of the proccess but any info or tips would be appreciated. Just from doing some reading around here and some Googling, it looks like there's a pay-for-delete process that has limited success. Problem is, I have no idea who I should be approaching with this - do I just pay Comcast directly, and then the collection accounts go away? Or do I handle it with the collection agency (agencies) that have the debts now? I don't believe that either one is valid, but I also know that it's my word against their's. I'd much rather just pay the ~$260 and have it taken off my credit than go through what I assume would be a lengthy process to dispute the debt.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

I t seems to me you'd rather pay than fight it. I understand how you feel, it's not fair that you can be charged for nothing and have a hard time disputing it or an easy time paying it. I suggest calling Comcast back up and telling them you will pay in full , if you so wish, IF they recall the debt from the CAs. Failure to have them recall can make it where the collection is listed as paid, but still sitting there. 

If you wanna go on principal, good luck fighting those bastards.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast is tough one to fight, as I'm dealing with them now. They keep their records for a long time.

Message 4 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Be careful, word is that the reps promise to pull, but they don't have that power. I would call the executive office in PA (google), and be sure they pull the account from collections. The front line reps DO NOT have this access, just do your best research before paying.
Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

any update on this?? i'm in the same situation as you were. did you ever find upper managment or ceo number??

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.