Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procollect FRD Process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Procollect FRD Process

My mom and I were recently hit with a collection from Procollect. It's from a student housing complex that my mom was a guarntor on. Procollect sent a letter only to my mom saying "receive 50% discount & deletion from credit report." They say all she has to do is pay online. Should I just pay it online? Is there another process we should do to ensure it will be removed from BOTH me and my mom's credit report?

For the record, I moved out in December 2014, and I tried for months to dispute the charges. I constantly emailed the general manger and each time all i got was "I'll look at your account when I get a chance", and eventually she stopped responding. She refused to see me in person or take my phone calls. I'm sure I have some legal recourse, but I rather just pay the $50 at this point.

Long story short: How do I ensure this gets removed from me and my mom's credit as soon as possible?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Procollect FRD Process

There is no process other than enforcement of what is now a written contract.

Offering deletion based on payment of the debt is directly contrary to their credit reporting agreement with the CRAs, but that is their albatross.

I would pay, and keep a copy of their offer.

If they dont promplty delete, just shoot them an intent to sue letter.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them. They sent my letter to an old address, so that's why I didn't get one. They say if my mom pays it, it'll come off my credit report also. They refuse to resend the letter or email me a copy of the letter. So no proof that they'll actually do it.

What should I do? If my mom pays it, I have no leverage to get them to take it off my credit report. They gave my mom til the 26th to pay, so there's not much time.

Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Agree with Robert, pay and make sure you keep that letter for proof.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
Agree with Robert, pay and make sure you keep that letter for proof.

Thanks. I'll pay tomorrow. I'm kinda scared though because I got a bit rude on the phone with them. They know I don't have proof of that letter.

If they don't delete, can I go back to the apartment complex? Would suing them be an option? Or could I try to negotatiate with them and ask that they remove my account with the CA if I pay the apartment complex?

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They know that if you should sue, then you would have recourse to the legal discovery procedure of the court, which would compel them to produce any evidence in their possession that shows their contractual offer.  With your money in pocket, they are not likely to bear the time and expense of a breach of contract trial, knowing that they would likely be required to produce any copy of their prior offer.

It is not as if you are taking a huge gamble.

You will discharge the debt once and for all.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really appreciate everyone's advice on this forum.

As an update, I was making a big deal for nothing. I paid the collection account back in May. However, the account didn't disappear on its own. I waited until July to dispute it with the 3 bureaus, which was an extremely easy process. Experian removed it within hours of me submitting the dispute online.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.