Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promissory note reporting as mortgage

tag
Georgia17
New Visitor

Promissory note reporting as mortgage

My husband and I relocated and did a short sale that was completed in August 2010. We signed a promissory note at the time for $5k but never heard from them again. We have been paying this promissory note current for the past 12 months but it was reported late before that since we had no idea who to even send a payment too. The big kicker is that it is being reported as "Real Estate/Mortgage". 

Today I disputed the reporting with Experian since this is a unsecured debt with no property tied to the loan. My plan was to wait for Experian's response and if it isnt resolved I will call the lender and offer to pay in full if they put in writing that they will change the reporting. I know not to settle for less that what is owed. I will be paying it in full soon no matter what but I thought I could use this as a bargaining tool.

Has anyone had sucess with getting the reporting changed? This is the only issue stopping us from purchasing a home. We have been current on everything for 5 years and have worked very hard. It isn't an issue of our scores, just it reporting as a mortgage late. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Promissory note reporting as mortgage

Welcome to the forums Georgia; I don't personally have a recommendation for you on this but I've moved your post to the Rebuilding forum where it'll receive more eyeballs from people who have expertise in analyzing this sort of issue.

        
Message 2 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Who owns the promisarry note?

What is the promise in that promisarry note?

What are the terms in that promisarry note?

I do not understand the nature of that promisarry note so I'm hard pressed to venture any suggestions.

Message 3 of 4
brumijb
Established Member

I have - after my dispute the mortgage account moved to closed.  Hope you had good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.