Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of Identity?

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Proof of Identity?

When you make an inquiry to a CRA related to information in your credit file, which is covered in its many aspects by FCRA 609, section 610 states that "A consumer reporting agency shall require, as a condition of making the discloure required under section 609, that the consumer furnish proper identification."

It is a statutory requirement to prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing information in your credit file.  Nothing peculiar, particulary when your request contained indentifying information contrary to that in your credit file.

Message 11 of 13
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I have also been working on my wifes credit report at the same time that I'm trying to repair mine.

I had sent the same letter DVing 2 accounts on her report. I just received a letter from Equifax and they are deleting the 2 items that I/we disputed. They didn't ask for her to prove her identity.

The letters were EXACTLY the same except for the details!

Well...

I've decided to send them my proof of identity. I seem to really have no other choice at this point.

Does anyone know if this stops the 30 day clock?

Are they under any time constraints to handle this matter now? Can they just sit on this now?

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Jamie

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 12 of 13
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

The letter I got from Equifax asking me to send in identifying information stated that they had completed their investigation, but needed those items to prove my identity or something.  I sent them in immediately, but still have not received anything from them regarding my dispute in the mail or online.  I disputed several items several months ago and never was informed of the results.  However, last nite I disputed something on TU that was reporting a balance that was paid.  I received an e-mail this morning that the investigation was concluded and it was being deleted.  That was less than 24 hours!!  When I have disputed with EX they have also notified me when the investigation was completed.  I don't know what's wrong with EQ!

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.