cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof read this Judgement settlement offer before I send it?

tag
Damikester892
New Contributor

Proof read this Judgement settlement offer before I send it?

Hey guys. First time sending any type of official letter to this manitude and was looking for some advice as to whether or not this would be alright or get me in even deeper.

Theres a judgement on me from 2013 for a bank account that overdrafted. Now I checked with the court and it doesn't have my SSN or DOB so I assume it would be pretty easy to get taken off my report due to the whole July 1st thing with judgements. However this one is unsatisfied and even though it'll come off my report I'm sure they would still be able to put a lien on any thing significant that I buy in the future, correct? So I'm thinking its probably best to deal with it now. As such I've drafted this letter and was wondering if its safe to send and how exactly should I send this to them? 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Date: 7/5/2017

(Lawfirm name

and contact info) 

RE: (Their Client name vs my name)

To Whom It May Concern:

Hello, I am contacting you regarding a Judgement I have been informed of via Credit Karma Monitoring Service in 2017. I have tried to contact you via Phone at the number on your website (Their Number) but no one has returned my calls after several attempts and leaving a voicemail. I contacted the (County Courthouse)  and they gave me this information regarding the case:

Judgment Number: 000000000

Your Offices Filing Number: 00000000

Debt Amount: $3979.56

Original Creditor: (Name of Bank)

Judgement Filing Date: 00/00/2013

Although I haven’t been informed of this judgement until now, I am interested in getting it satisfied.  I unfortunately don’t have nearly $4,000 on hand or any assets worth any significant amount of money. I spoke with my grandparents about it and they offered to lend me a little bit of money to try and settle this debt.

I’m willing to offer a 25% ($995) One Time Payment as payment in full of this debt in exchange for release (Satisfaction) of said judgement. If you/your client wishes to accept please respond with an Agreement To Release said judgement upon receipt of One time ($995) Payment within 5 Business days of receiving this letter.

Sincerely,

(Name and contact info)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Damikester892
New Contributor

Re: Proof read this Judgement settlement offer before I send it?

Revised it a little bit, looking to send it out today if it looks OK. Any help is appreciated.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Damikester892 wrote:

Revised it a little bit, looking to send it out today if it looks OK. Any help is appreciated.

Why not just use Credit Karma dispute and have them validate the judgement.  The reason I say this is that you say it doesn't have your DOB and SSN therefor they can't prove it is you right?

Message 3 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Contacting them regarding an unpaid judgment with any offer to pay less than the full amount should be done with recognition that it might result in their taking their own steps to attempt recovery of 100%.

With judgment in pocket, they can motion the court for a writ of satisfaction, which if granted can result in attachment of assets or garnishment of wages.

Are you sure that your assets and/or wages are judgment proof (are of such that they cannot be attached)?

Message 4 of 11
Damikester892
New Contributor

I have already gone ahead and disputed it for lack of DOB and SSN however I'm under the impression that even if its off of my credit reports, I won't be able to ever get a mortgage in the near future if it's still unsatisfied. 

However that does bring me to another question, I'm a Junior and my father is a real low life when it comes to financial responsibility. We don't have a common name and when you run it in our states judgement search, there's at least 15 that show up in the past 30 years however only this one is dated past when I became an adult so I'm unsure if this is even my judgement but since it showed up on my credit report I just assumed it was from a bank account that I had gotten closed around 2013 and the debt amount is just inflated from interest and attorney fees. The address on file is my grandparents and I did not live there in 2013 when this judgement was filed so I honestly didn't know about it until now when CK gave me the alert.

I did try to call this law firm atleast 8 times in the past 3 days and left voicemails to which they haven't called back or answered so I figured sending a letter was my only option left.

However if I'm unable to get into contact with them, what are my chances of getting a mortgage if I explained my story? I'm sure when they do a search on my name they're going to see the countless judgements and I'll have to explain that all of them except 1 are from 2008 and back when I was like 14 years old and younger so they are definitely my father's but I'm not sure how they will react to the one from 2013 (I was 19 back then) so I was just trying to see if they would settle it for what I can afford just to have peace of mind that when I apply for a mortgage it'll be easy to just tell them "look at the dates and think about how young I was then, they definitely aren't mine" when they see all the old unsatisfied ones.

What's my best course of action here? Kinda scared me away from sending this letter today...

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Damikester892 wrote:

I have already gone ahead and disputed it for lack of DOB and SSN however I'm under the impression that even if its off of my credit reports, I won't be able to ever get a mortgage in the near future if it's still unsatisfied. 

However that does bring me to another question, I'm a Junior and my father is a real low life when it comes to financial responsibility. We don't have a common name and when you run it in our states judgement search, there's at least 15 that show up in the past 30 years however only this one is dated past when I became an adult so I'm unsure if this is even my judgement but since it showed up on my credit report I just assumed it was from a bank account that I had gotten closed around 2013 and the debt amount is just inflated from interest and attorney fees. The address on file is my grandparents and I did not live there in 2013 when this judgement was filed so I honestly didn't know about it until now when CK gave me the alert.

I did try to call this law firm atleast 8 times in the past 3 days and left voicemails to which they haven't called back or answered so I figured sending a letter was my only option left.

However if I'm unable to get into contact with them, what are my chances of getting a mortgage if I explained my story? I'm sure when they do a search on my name they're going to see the countless judgements and I'll have to explain that all of them except 1 are from 2008 and back when I was like 14 years old and younger so they are definitely my father's but I'm not sure how they will react to the one from 2013 (I was 19 back then) so I was just trying to see if they would settle it for what I can afford just to have peace of mind that when I apply for a mortgage it'll be easy to just tell them "look at the dates and think about how young I was then, they definitely aren't mine" when they see all the old unsatisfied ones.

What's my best course of action here? Kinda scared me away from sending this letter today...

Why would a mortgage company look for judgements against you?  If it's off the report they have no idea right?

Message 6 of 11
Damikester892
New Contributor

Indeed but with a simple Google search of "Getting a mortgage with judgement not showing on credit report" shows countless threads from all over saying mortgage lenders look at more then just your credit report. They look at judgement searches and all kinds of things? Mainly the case looks like it's smooth sailing through pre-qualification and conditionally approved and then underwriting searches for judgements before final approval?

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with doing so!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Damikester892 wrote:

Indeed but with a simple Google search of "Getting a mortgage with judgement not showing on credit report" shows countless threads from all over saying mortgage lenders look at more then just your credit report. They look at judgement searches and all kinds of things? Mainly the case looks like it's smooth sailing through pre-qualification and conditionally approved and then underwriting searches for judgements before final approval?

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with doing so!

Well that just sucks lol

Message 8 of 11
Damikester892
New Contributor

Indeed which is why I'm trying to get it settled and thought sending them this letter was a good route... 

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is a routine part of most underwrting processes for the lendor to do their own search of public records for judgments.

They are concerned with ability of others to attach liens to the property based on a court judgment.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.