Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Debt Validation?

tag
chrisre
Valued Member

Proper Debt Validation?

Hello All,

I have recently been working on my credit and have been successful at removing a few accounts and paying off other collection accounts. After showing some progress, I took a big hit to my score when a medical collection started reporting.

It's a medical bill, posted by a group of hospitals I have never been to posting as a loan more than 120+ days past due.

Initially after it posted to my credit report I called them to find out about the account. When speaking with an accounts receivable rep, she could not locate my information with my social security #. I gave it to her and she coudn't find it. She was able to locate an account under my name but the address wasn't correct.

After two attempts to dispute it with Equifax, they keep coming back as being verified, however the equifax rep tells me they only verified by name, social and address.

- The address they have is not in my file and they do not appear to have my social.

I was under the impression that they need to verify actual account information when I ask them to do so. Why isn't equifax verifying date of service, agreements, etc?

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: EQ: 660 TU: 659 EX: 683
Goal Score: 680

NFCU CashRewards $8,500 NFCU NavCheck: $3,000 CFECU: $2,000 Chase UNITED: $1,500 Chase Freedom: $1,000 Chase Amazon: $500 AMEX Delta: $2,000 (AU) Navy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Proper Debt Validation?

Debt validation is done through a 3rd party collection agency.  Disputing with the CRAs is to verifiy the debt exists with the creditor.  The CRAs do not need to verify any of the information you mentioned.  If the creditor says it is your, it is verified.

If you believe the debt is not yours, dispute it directly with the creditor or CA using FCRA 623(a)(8).

Message 2 of 3
chrisre
Valued Member

Re: Proper Debt Validation?

Thank you for verifying!

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: EQ: 660 TU: 659 EX: 683
Goal Score: 680

NFCU CashRewards $8,500 NFCU NavCheck: $3,000 CFECU: $2,000 Chase UNITED: $1,500 Chase Freedom: $1,000 Chase Amazon: $500 AMEX Delta: $2,000 (AU) Navy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.