cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting my identity...

tag
david122

Protecting my identity...

Hi all, I am wondering if it's necessary to pay for a service that would prevent identity fraud, something that would alert me if someone's running my credit. If you guys agree, can you recommend me something that's good and cheap? 

OR do you guys think running my credit once an year is good enough to protect myself from identity fraud?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Protecting my identity...

@david122 wrote:

Hi all, I am wondering if it's necessary to pay for a service that would prevent identity fraud, something that would alert me if someone's running my credit. If you guys agree, can you recommend me something that's good and cheap? 

OR do you guys think running my credit once an year is good enough to protect myself from identity fraud?

Thanks.

Depends on your situation.  Most of us here started using monitoring while rebuilding, just so we could see the changes to our files as we improve.  In my opinion, once you are done rebuilding doing a free pull from annualcreditreport.com every 4 months (1 cb each time) is enough.  Then if you have a major app coming up pay for the report and fico scores through this site.

Unless, of course, you have reason to believe your identity has been compromised.  If so, your best bet is freezing your report.  That's really the only way to prevent someone from applying for credit under your name.  The monitoring notifies you after the app, so you still have all of the legwork in sorting it out.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.