Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Record-Eviction Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Public Record-Eviction Question

Hi Everyone, I have a question that I have been unable to get the answer to anywhere. Just shy of 7 years ago I was evicted and although the eviction/jjudgement has never showed up on my CR, it is of course a public record with the State of Florida and probably showing on my rental history report (Not sure as I own my home). The thing is when I do a search for when that will come off of my "record" so to speak, I get the answer 7 years and when I read further it is clear they are talking about credit reports. So I guess my question is..... how long will this information be public? I called the courthouse and she said it will never come off and asked if I was trying to rent and when I said "no", she said what did I care! OMG! Will the State remove it ever?

Thanks for any guidance you can shed on this for me!
10 REPLIES 10
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Re: Public Record-Eviction Question

It sounds to me like you're referring to two separate issues. 1st issue is the judgment (money owed), the 2nd issue is the eviction. The judgment will eventually fall off your report after 7 years or so. The eviction will remain on your public record with the court system indefinitely.

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Is2016.....That's what I was afraid of.... since it was never on my credit report at all.... that brings me to my next question.... will this impact my buying a second house for rental purposes? There is no money owed on this.
Message 3 of 11
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

The eviction would not interfere with the purchase of a 2nd home and since the judgment has a 0 balance, I don't see it causing you any significant problems. You may have to write a statement documenting the circumstances regarding the judgment, but I don't foresee any major issues with the judgment or eviction.

8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

how would this be any diffrent than any other PR, So your saying that a PR is never removed from you record? So i will always have BK on my PR, a forclosure, tax liens etc I thought after a certain amount those were gone, so if i was search under PR nothing would come up....So its possible that even 20 years from now I may be questioned about a tax lien?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Laws Prevail
State public records laws determine how long a judgment stays on public record. For example, a docketed judgment entered in a Wisconsin court remains public record for 20 years. In Michigan, the public record statute of limitations on a judgment is 10 years.

Because the information is a historical record of court activity, the record will remain even if you pay the judgment, get it dismissed by filing bankruptcy or are able to vacate a default judgment during this time. However, its status will change from “open” to “paid,” “dismissed” or “vacated.” An unpaid judgment will remain on public record until the judgment expires or until you pay the debt in full.

My state shows 10 years

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Harley!
That's what I was thinking! Depends on the states statute of limitations. Perfect! It doesn't seem fair it would stay forever. So I'll find out what that is! Fab!
Message 7 of 11
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Once again, going back to my original post...judgment and evictions are 2 separate issues, that I feel have really nothing to do with one another, other than the eviction may have lead to the judgment. Evictions do not disappear. If so, I wouldn't have one that's 16 years old on my public record at the court house. It would serve me great if there was a statute of limitation for evictions. I'm only speaking from experience and after paying several thousand dollars in legal fees years ago to attorneys, trying to have the eviction vacated from my record because it prevented me from getting apartments, which pretty much forced me to purchase a home, which by the way the attorneys only took my money, knowing they couldn't help. So yeah...good luck with that one!
Message 8 of 11
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

The judgment issue is resolved...we're on the same page, the question remains whether an eviction stays indefinitely or has a public record statute, only via court house records. We know that an eviction doesn't show on a credit report, that's not the issue here either. I challenge the OP to phone several county court houses to inquire about the public record eviction (how long it remains on one's public record), just to gather answers from several different entities (sample pool). Back in the day, I went round and round with this and got absolutely no where. Once again, best wishes OP.
Message 9 of 11
stellar
Established Contributor

Pretty sure FL law prevents public records from being removed ever.  Only certain things like social security numbers or sensitive info can be requested to be removed from the doc online, not the doc itelf tho.  

There is also expungement but that is a once in a lifetime deal and requires a whole paperwork process and approval.

Pretty easy to find all this info online.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.