cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Records Disaster!!! Please help...

tag
ineedadvise
Regular Contributor

Public Records Disaster!!! Please help...

So, like many of you here I am looking to clean up as much of my credit report as possible before I call the "mortgage guy".  I posted about this before and got some great info...thank you...but now I just got the rest of the court records and need some advise on how to fix a big mess.

Ok here goes.  We moved from RI to MA in 2000.  For four years the town I lived in growing up, that I used as my address as far as vehicle exise taxes were concerned continued to keep billing me annually for car taxes.  I found this out in 2006 when I received a letter from the attorney who represented the "plantiff".  I called the office for excise taxes and discussed the situation, sent them my registration for MA showing that I had not lived in RI since 2000...apparently when I turned the license plates in to the registry they never made the change.  So all of this was "all set" as far I was concerned.  Then I pulled my credit report....

So, on 2 out of three of CRA's  (TU does not have any public records listed for me)  have three separate entries.  This is what my Equifax record looks like:

Public Records

Public record information includes bankruptcies, liens or judgments and comes from federal, state or county court records.

You have no Bankruptcies on file.

Judgment Type: Satisfied Judgment  Date Filed: XX/2005  Case Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   Court Number/Name:   Court Address: 45 Rock St
Fall River, MA 027203125
  Plaintiff: TOWN OF NORTH PROVIDENCE   Defendant:   Amount: $614  Status: -   Satisfied Date: XX/2007  Verified Date:   Comments:  

Judgment Type: Judgment  Date Filed: XX/2005  Case Number: XXXXXXXXXXX   Court Number/Name:   Court Address: 45 Rock St
Fall River, MA 027203125
  Plaintiff: TOWN OF NO KINGSTOWN   Defendant:   Amount: $660  Status: -   Satisfied Date:   Verified Date:   Comments:  

Judgment Type: Judgment  Date Filed: XX/2003  Case Number: XXXXXXXXXXX  Court Number/Name:   Court Address: 4800 Tower Hill Rd
Wakefield, RI 028792239
  Plaintiff: TOWN OF Defendant:    Amount: $551  Status: -   Satisfied Date:   Verified Date:   Comments:   You have no Tax Liens on file.

So what happened apparently is when it was first taken to court in RI I had a judgement entered against me.  The attorney then took the case to court in MA and it was filed on XX/XX/05.   The case was officially dismissed on XX/XX/07.  I have the court docket from MA showing this, as well as a "Judgment of Dismissal" from the attorney that represented the town.  For some reason the CRA's have it listed three times.  The first two you see are the same case.  They left the 2005 off of the second listing for the case # and put North Providence as the Plaintiff s in the first....also they made one a $614 listing and the second is for $660 but these are the same case.  Then you also see the RI record.  So at the very least one of the MA records should be deleted.  I felt confident that the dismissal on the second record and the "Judgment of DIsmissal" would be sufficient to have these (MA court cases) removed from my record..but I am concerned as the first case public record was a judgement...

So how can I make sure that these two cases are linked together as far as CRA's are concerned.  I have certified copies to send to the CRA's of the dismissal but when I got the record from RI I was suprised to see judgement since I was told that the judge threw the case out in RI and that is how they filed in MA...

Can anyone help....I know it is very confusing but I hope I provided enough info.....anyone???

Edited to remove case numbers and specific dates. Everyone, please look over your posts when you copy/ paste info from your reports, and XXXXX through things that might help a hungry CA or other low-life to figure out who you are. Smiley Happy  Thanks to the forum member who flagged this!

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-03-2009 03:28 PM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Public Records Disaster!!! Please help...

My suggeston in a matter like this is spend a few hundred dollars to have an attorney directly communicate with the CRA's on the matter. 

While I was able to take care of most matters on my own, I found that a couple just found the CRA's sending me form letters unrelated or "not getting it" and not giving me any satisfaction.  As soon as my attorney corresponded, the letters get routed to the "legal dept" and they get real people taking real looks and real action.  You aren't interesting to them, but an attorney is (and no, Lexington Law doesn't count or work).

But when you have judgements, tax liens and Bk that are erroneous or "multiplied" like this, I determined that my sanity and the savings in time more than justified the $400 to 500 dollars the attorney cost me.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.