Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public records and tax liens

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Public records and tax liens

Hello,

Just read an article on Yahoo stating all three major credit bureaus will be limiting information for public records for those who currently or will have a tax lien and other types of public records. I believe removal as well. I guess this has been in the works for sometime and good to know since I just got an old California paid tax lien removed from my report. I was shocked with the score increase after removal of my 5 year old paid tax lien with California.

It mentioned the dispute process completely upgrading. Information being furnished will be monitored more throughly.

Certain types of collections held for months before it can be reported. Giving the consumer time to take care of it.

Does anyone have more insight on this?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Public records and tax liens

I am confused in reading of the post.

What is meant by the statement that the CRAs are limiting public record information to public record information?

What is meant by the dispute process "upgrading"?

Message 2 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure I get all of that either. The part on holding up reporting of collections sounds good, to give consumers more time...if that would be true.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, how did you get the records removed from your report after 5 years? I have a public record that is over 6 years old I would like to remove.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you can dispute are many tax liens and judgements   To STAY ON they have to have 1) Your name 2address 3) ss# (not redacted or partial)  or birthdate.

You contact cra saying you dispute under  National Comsumer protect Act  And the atached lien/judgement lack the items to be validated because it does not have 1) name, 2) address  3) social security number to be validated.  Send  attached a copy of that page of the credit report.  We had an id isue on my wife we could not get one off by  any other means for years and used this to get it off. We had tried  copies of id theift years before with limited luck. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you discover this?  I just paid off my tax lien, and do not want to wait 7 years for it to fall off.  Did you mail the dispute, or do it online?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called Experian because for some reason I can not dispute online.  I placed a dispute based on the information you gave.  address, full social or dob do not appear on these reports.  The gentleman placed a dispute on file, and I will receive a response in the mail.  Hoping for good luck!!!

Message 7 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Google on Jenkins v. Equifax, and review the pending civil litigation and the related settlement agreement for details on CRA agrrement to remove some judgments and tax liens.

That litigation grew from contested issues over the standard for CRA verification of the accuracy of certain public record information where the CRA included and verified based on use of their own vendors to review public records.  The settlement agreement reached with the CRAs stipulates a minimum degree of documentation that is required, and deletion of judgments and tax liens that lack that documentation, including SSN or date of birth that identifies the consumer.

The CRAs have incorporated the terms of the settlement agreement into their public relations document titled the National Consumer Assistance Plan, but the underlying basis for any dispute would be their legally binding settlement agreement under Jenkins v. Equifax.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information. I will look it up when I get home. Hoping it is good news for my tax lien dispute.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only speak about my IRS tax lien Chantels but once paid, you can ask them to remove the lien. If it is paid, they will take it off your credit reports. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.