cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulled CR “No Credit History” Where to Start?

tag
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Pulled CR “No Credit History” Where to Start?

Hi, Everyone!

Pulled my son’s CR and of course “No Credit History” showing. With the “Mistakes” I’ve made in the past getting ‘subprime’ cc’s to start my Credit History I don’t want him to make the same mistakes I did.
With no credit history on his CR file, what would be a GREAT FIRST STEP that he can make to establish a positive credit history? If a cc is the answer(?) Which cc would be the BEST to apply for and GET APPROVAL for without creating a slew of inquiries, like I did!
Any GREAT ADVISEMENT other than what I mentioned would be MOST APPRECIATED!!

Thank You 😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pulled CR “No Credit History” Where to Start?

I would start either from secured credit card at your bank, credit union or add him as your authorised user on one of the oldest cards this should help
Message 2 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Do you have a credit card where you could add him as an authorized user? You don't even have to give it to him - you can just sock drawer it. Although if he still lives at home you might find it useful if you want him to run an errand or a quick trip to the grocery store. With AMEX you can even set custom spending limits so he doesn't have full access to your credit line.

If he is in college, consider having him apply for a student card like the Discover It or the Citi Thank You Preferred for College Students. The first card I got was a student card from Citi and I had zero credit history. Admittedly, that was 12 years ago (goodness, I feel old) and their credit standards may have changed for student cards but I really doubt it - many 18-22 year olds, their target demographic, have no credit history.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 3 of 11
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the advice!!

But, unfortunately 😖, I don’t have a card to put him on as an AU. I’m in the process of finally able to tackle my old and recent CO’s(due to oil field layoff and broken ankle-down 8 mos from 2015)
So, that’s a no go. Lol
But, that was GREAT advice! 😀

Thank You so much!

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 4 of 11
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thank You for the GREAT advice! 👍

My hasn’t started college, as of yet, he is taking the year off to recoup. But, I WILL take that into advisement when he does begin and try the citi deal.

Thanks so very much for your advice. 😀

>

I❤️NY
Message 5 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Since he's not a student yet a secured card would be a good option as the other poster advised. Discover, Capital One, and Citi all have secured cards.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get 3 secured CCs for him. Preferably within 1-2 mos. Make sure he understands how to use them and pay responsibly.
Message 7 of 11
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thank You!

That was GREAT advice! And...I think that might be a great route. I’ve explain the AZEO concept to him and he totally GETS IT! I DIDN’T know that until I signed up here and learned it from you guy’s! 😉👍

Which secured cards(3?) do you think he’ll get approved for without a credit history? If, you know off the top, that would eliminate many of the HP’s WHICH I DON’T want for his beginnings. If we can avoid them other than the ones for THOSE actual cc’s then that would be AWESOME!

Thank You! 😊

>

I❤️NY
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another credit builder to consider is a Self Lender 'loan'. I think it would be great for someone just getting started. First, it helps build a credit history. It also expands on the type of accounts he would have. Rather than just having a few revolving lines of credit, he would also have an installment loan reporting, too. And just as helpful, he ends up with a decent amount of money when it's paid off. If your son has a job, I'd suggest looking into it.

Message 9 of 11
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thank you!

That is precisely what I’m going to have him do. First, I want him to be able to grasp the “Credit Concept” and be sure he is be responsible with one or two(?) secured cc’s BEFORE we start a SSL. He HAS GOT TO LEARN that FIRST before I allow him to take on more.
He does work and that is a plus. He refuses to live off his parents!! We’ve done well there. Lol
But, you are exactly RIGHT. To diversify his accounts is definitely the RIGHT way to go for a builder or rebuilder.
Much thanks for your advise. You guy’s are GREAT!! 👍

>

I❤️NY
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.