cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question - Abandoned house.... can it hurt me?

tag
DolfanFICO
Established Member

Question - Abandoned house.... can it hurt me?

Hello all....

My Ch7 was discharged in July. Got a new job in March after a couple of very bad years, so my rebuilding is underway.... Have one major pending issue.

I had a house with two mortgages. Both were included in the BK, so I understand I am not liable to repay them. Long story short, because of my job, I have moved to a new house (renting). Still paying to keep up the old house in the spirit of being a good citizen, while I was trying to get some arrangement with the banks. Market value is about the combined balances, give or take, so I stand to make no money off it, but was trying to avoid foreclosure. However, after several very frustrating calls and letters, I have not been able to get Seterus (first lien) to do the Deed in Lieu unless I get BAC to release their (second) Lien, which they said they won't unless I pay in full... In the mean time, I have received a Notice of Hearing for my foreclosure. It is on October/31. I plan to attend if for nothing else to try to get the court or whoever may have authority, to ACCELERATE the sale!!! I just want my name removed from the deed ASAP. 

So, questions now revolve around my responsibilities at THIS time...

I understand I am NOT liable for the loans themselves... and have continued paying for utilities in the 'spirit' of being a good citizen and all of that... but don't want to keep doing it forever... is it possible to call the utilities companies to TERMINATE my contracts so that I stop paying? Will they do that or is the owner of record (me at this time) responsible to keep those accounts active?

I was planning to do that and also call the HOA to let them know the whole drama... the house is in a very nice neighborhood and I am sure folks would not want it to go to waste...

What do you guys know about it?

Can I do a unilateral stop of my payments or am I stuck until the house sells?

If that's the case, in your experience, can I get anything in my hearing out of requesting to actually accelerate the process, given Seterus' unwillingness to work with me? Do courts help on that?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.