Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About a Small Charge-Off from Checking Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About a Small Charge-Off from Checking Account

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker but this is my first post.

Sometime over the summer a student checking account with a national bank that I opened in high school and hadn't used in 3 or 4 years was converted to a standard checking account. From what I can gather, it seems like the account was instantly below the required funds, got hit with a maintenance fee, and brought into the red. I think I had all of $1.xx in it when this happened. One overdraft fee later, and the account was in the red by $43.11. This all happened without my knowledge. I was signed up for paperless statements and the bank had my phone number on file, but the bank still sent a traditional letter to my old address (by this point I had been living at college for years and moved out on my own) which I only received recently. Long story short, I just got the letters notifying me that the account had been closed and charged-off on October 1, 2014.

I contacted the bank's recovery department today and at least found out the debt has not yet been sold to a CA, but the only thing I can do to correct the charge-off is by pleading my case to a branch manager, which I plan to do tomorrow. Does anybody have any suggestions about what to say and what not to say to the manager? I'm an honest person and can admit my mistake, but I don't want to make things worse for myself. If I end up just paying the $43.11, will the charge-off still be reported to ChexSystems? The account went in the red sometime in July I believe, so it has been roughly 6 months, but the account was only charged-off on October 1, 2014.

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About a Small Charge-Off from Checking Account

I would talk to them. They can report you for NSF activity even if it doesn't charge off. 

Also, if it does go to Chexsystems, it ages off after 5 years. You can request your report for free from Chexsystems to see if anything is there.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.