Did you mean: 

Question. Just got a call about old debt

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt

@FrugalRican wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Yeah you can more or less tell them to go away ~ I'd send them a CMRR letter reminding them of the following:

1)  the debt is past SOL

2)  the debt is past CRTP

3)  they violated the FDCPA when they threatened to sue and garnish your wages

I'm sure you know this, but they would have to file suit and win in order to be able attempt to garnish your wages.   Typical CA practices, threating and trying to scare you.

+1

(1) Send CMRR

(2) Drink wine

(3) Laugh

That'd be my next 3 steps. That lady was just trying scare tactics. Sad part is it might not have worked with you, OP, but it'll work with the next person they most likely call.

Unfortunately this is true.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

pardon my ignorance but what does CMMR stand for? Im trying to find a rough draft of a letter I can send so I have something to go off of?

Message 12 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

pardon my ignorance but what does CMMR stand for? Im trying to find a rough draft of a letter I can send so I have something to go off of?

Certified Mail Return Reciept (Its actually CMRR)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 42
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's USPS Certified Mail Return Receipt Required.   Meaning that the CA has to sign to get the letter, and the USPS returns the signature card to you so that you have proof.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok that makes sense. But do i just basically write them a cease a desist letter stating they are violating the SOL of the state?? I also tell them to stop contacting me as well right. Thank you guys so much for your help my co-workers had no idea what the hell to do haha.

Message 15 of 42
Erica1
Regular Contributor

I've had the same thing happen. Some agency has been calling my cell like 5 times a day. Before I send the cease & desist letter I'm going to answer the call once one of the calls comes in when I'm not neck deep in something at work just so I can tell them where to shove it. Just because I can now and it will feel good after having to deal with those stupid CAs back when I messed up my credit. It will give me some small satisfaction. Smiley Happy

Once they realize you're too smart to fall for their BS and you send the C&D letter they'll probably try to sell the debt again. When someone else buys it you'll have to go through the same process. Kind of a pain but unfortunately it's what you've got to do.
2/22/13: TU-716, EX-702, 4/24: EQ-749
2/20/14: TU-695, EQ-671
Goal: mid-700's
Message 16 of 42
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

You may well already know this from these boards but it cannot be stated too many times.  Whatever you do, do not pay anything to them what so ever.  Even if they say, "hey just pay us $5/year and we will leave you alone".  The minute you pay something, the clock runs back to zero and you start all over again and they can take you to court.

Again, sorry if this is well known but it cannot be overstated.  Many people fall into the trap of resetting the clock on debt by paying something.

Message 17 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so they just called again this time my cell phone and said I need to make a payment. I started arguing with them and they said that the credit card judgment was a public record because I never tried to fight it and the SOL for CA is 10 years. I told her she is full of it and said STOP CALLING. Its off my credit report now so that means its past the SOL right??? Damn this is confusing

Message 18 of 42
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

California Statutes of Limitation

Written agreements: 4 years, calculated from the date of breach.

Oral agreements: 2 years.

The statute of limitation is stopped only if the debtor makes a payment on the account after the expiration of the applicable limitations period.

Message 19 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JaysonT wrote:

You may well already know this from these boards but it cannot be stated too many times.  Whatever you do, do not pay anything to them what so ever.  Even if they say, "hey just pay us $5/year and we will leave you alone".  The minute you pay something, the clock runs back to zero and you start all over again and they can take you to court.

Again, sorry if this is well known but it cannot be overstated.  Many people fall into the trap of resetting the clock on debt by paying something.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.