cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question. Just got a call about old debt

Established Member

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt

Its a local credit union not a collection agency that is calling. The amount is only $421 so If I had to pay it I will pay it. But I dont want to do anything until I know I have to. I dont know the dates of anything since it was so long ago. She wouldnt give me any information or any dates.

Message 31 of 42
Regular Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt


SoCaliLover wrote:

JaysonT wrote:

LS2982 wrote:

JaysonT wrote:

You can see the law here:

 

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=00001-01000&file=335-349.4

 

Point them to that and tell them to pound sand...


Again, those are laws (Statutes of Limitations) which govern how long they have to sue.  I think (and forgive me if I am wrong) but they orignial poster said the case has already gone to judgment and therefore he was already sued, possibliy within those time frames.  If its a judgment, now they can collect how ever long they want --depends on the amount if they will go to the expense of writs of execution.  (Im an attorney and can attest they can be very expensive-- probalby wouldnt do if its a $500 judgment, might if its several thousands)

 

I would ask that they provide a copy of the judgment so you know if they really have one!


Sorry about that one, I missed the "judgement" comment from the OP.  That does make a big difference to this discussion.

 

It also sounds as though the OP has confirmed the judgement in his latest post. 

Message 32 of 42
Mega Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt


gmurph1818 wrote:

Its a local credit union not a collection agency that is calling. The amount is only $421 so If I had to pay it I will pay it. But I dont want to do anything until I know I have to. I dont know the dates of anything since it was so long ago. She wouldnt give me any information or any dates.


I would pay it. If you have to set up payments do so as they will not go forward with the judgement as long as you have an agreement.

 

I also apoligize about missing the judgement comment, I didn't see it.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 33 of 42
Regular Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt


LS2982 wrote:

gmurph1818 wrote:

Its a local credit union not a collection agency that is calling. The amount is only $421 so If I had to pay it I will pay it. But I dont want to do anything until I know I have to. I dont know the dates of anything since it was so long ago. She wouldnt give me any information or any dates.


I would pay it. If you have to set up payments do so as they will not go forward with the judgement as long as you have an agreement.

 

I also apoligize about missing the judgement comment, I didn't see it.


I would also recommend the same.  Thre stress alone of this cannot be worth $421.  This sounds like a "lump" you are going to need to take.  By the way, you can forgo the sand comment recommended earlier.  Man Embarassed

Message 34 of 42
Mega Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt


JaysonT wrote:

LS2982 wrote:

gmurph1818 wrote:

Its a local credit union not a collection agency that is calling. The amount is only $421 so If I had to pay it I will pay it. But I dont want to do anything until I know I have to. I dont know the dates of anything since it was so long ago. She wouldnt give me any information or any dates.


I would pay it. If you have to set up payments do so as they will not go forward with the judgement as long as you have an agreement.

 

I also apoligize about missing the judgement comment, I didn't see it.


I would also recommend the same.  Thre stress alone of this cannot be worth $421.  This sounds like a "lump" you are going to need to take.  By the way, you can forgo the sand comment recommended earlier.  Man Embarassed


Yes, Telling them to pound sand could have drastic consequences in this matter.................Smiley Sad




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 35 of 42
Blogger

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt

Unless by "pound sand" he totally means "pay up".

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com


EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 36 of 42
Mega Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt


FrugalRican wrote:

Unless by "pound sand" he totally means "pay up".


Yea bet he's telling them to pound sand..............So if your statement is true then they would have to pay him for his debt.........

 

ijs..............Smiley Very Happy




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 37 of 42
Established Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt

Just pay it or at the very least see if they will accept like 75% of the balance and call it quits, nothing to lose by asking. Don't know your financial situation but what you owe is better than owing thousands $$ plus court costs..

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Message 38 of 42
Mega Contributor

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt

@Jon Big +1

Not worth the headache AND showing up on CR!



EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 39 of 42
Established Member

Re: Question. Just got a call about old debt

Ok I guess that sums it up ill go and pay it today after work and get it over with.

Message 40 of 42