cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question On How To Proceed For Removal

tag
stephylyn12

Question On How To Proceed For Removal

I had 2 medical collections with North American Recovery totaling $134. They validated both debts and after numerous failed PFD letter, email & call attempts. I called the OC. They said they would not retract the collection but would accept payment and let N.A.R. know its been paid so I ended up paying them off instead of the CA. My question is, since I payed the OC & not the CA, can I send the CA a letter along with the receipt letting them know the debt has been taken care of and demand they delete since I payed the OC?? Obviously, they will already know this is taken care of since the OC said they would contact them about it. Or will I have to GW the CA since the OC refused to retract the collection??
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question On How To Proceed For Removal

@stephylyn12 wrote:
I had 2 medical collections with North American Recovery totaling $134. They validated both debts and after numerous failed PFD letter, email & call attempts. I called the OC. They said they would not retract the collection but would accept payment and let N.A.R. know its been paid so I ended up paying them off instead of the CA. My question is, since I payed the OC & not the CA, can I send the CA a letter along with the receipt letting them know the debt has been taken care of and demand they delete since I payed the OC?? Obviously, they will already know this is taken care of since the OC said they would contact them about it. Or will I have to GW the CA since the OC refused to retract the collection??

Would have been better to use the HIPAA Process it can be Googled. Google it and contact its creator, good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
stephylyn12

Seems like its too late for me now though. I already paid over the phone and for hat process to work it says I had to send that form letter with a bank money order and all that. Ill keep that in mind for future reference though. So in the mean time, how should I go ahead with my dilemma now??
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt collector still had collection authority at the time you paid the debt, no, they are not required to delete the fact that they were collecting on the debt.

In fact, CRA policy, as stated in thier credit reporting manual and credit reporting agreements, is that reporting should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

The CRA policy of deleteion of a reported collection extends only to reporting after their authority is terminated, and the debt at that time was unpaid.

The debt collector is required to update the balance remaining under their collection to $0, and close their collection.

You would send them a good-will request for their deletion.

If you are still on good terms with the OC, you might ask them to call the debt collector, and make a supporting request on your behalf.

However, the OC has no authority to delete the reporting of another, or to require them to delete their reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.