Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question! Please help!

tag
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Question! Please help!

Does anyone know exactly what a CA is required to provide once you send a certified letter to them demanding proff that they own the debt? Aren't they supposed to provide official documents...not something they created in-house? I'm battling through the BBB with a CA and they keep sending me a statement (showing paid) with generic info. on it but nothing that shows they own the debt or anything official.

Can someone answer this for me or give me the law statute for this? The FDCPA is so vague...

TIA!

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question! Please help!

If it is showing paid, then there's no need to verify a debt so a DV is not of value here.  Is there an error in the reporting?  Have you tried a GW?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question! Please help!

@Shogun wrote:

If it is showing paid, then there's no need to verify a debt so a DV is not of value here.  Is there an error in the reporting?  Have you tried a GW?

Right. I've sent GW after GW over the past several years and nothing. This is a stupid $100 medical bill that has been PIF since 2008 and scheduled to fall off next year sometime. The only reason I'm even messing with this is I keep getting denied for credit due to this one collection from 2007 that won't go away! ugh!

The OC has been out of business for several years and so I'm demanding validation to show they actually own(ed) the debt (knowing that chances are they probably won't be able to verify since OC is out of business). They sent me a "Guarantor Collection Card" but nothing with their name/info. on it showing they're the ones that took over the debt. I have 2 days left to respond to their response to the BBB and so confused and don't know what to do. I'd give up and just wait for it to fall off next year but I've battled with them this long, and sick and tired of being denied credit based on this single PAID medical debt from 2007!

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.