Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Re settlement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question Re settlement

My son just racked up a huge amount of medical bills. I'm trying to pay them as quick as I can, but some are slipping by. Anyway, one collection agency has offered to settle the bill. My concern is that I'm still getting the same bill from the hospital after it was sent to a collection agency. Who do I pay? I want to pay it, I just don't know who to pay. If I pay the collection agency will the hospital ding me on my credit report?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question Re settlement

I would call the hospital and see if they will retract it from the CA.  If they agree, I would pay the hospital.

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kyliemarie85888 wrote:
My son just racked up a huge amount of medical bills. I'm trying to pay them as quick as I can, but some are slipping by. Anyway, one collection agency has offered to settle the bill. My concern is that I'm still getting the same bill from the hospital after it was sent to a collection agency. Who do I pay? I want to pay it, I just don't know who to pay. If I pay the collection agency will the hospital ding me on my credit report?

Since it has been sent to collection, you are better of dealing with the collection agency as I doubt the hospital will be willing to retact the request.  But call and ask the hospital and see why you are still getting a bill directly from them when they have sent you to a collection agency...

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Who has already reported to a CRA?

If either or both has reported, you would want to atttempt to get their reporting deleted.

If the debt collector has only contacted you but not yet reported, you may wish to offer to pay them in exchnage for their agreement not to report their collection.

Differting scenarios based on who has or has not reported........

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neither has reported to the credit bureaus. I'm watching that close as we are hoping to buy a bigger home when our house sells. I suppose I will just pay the collection agency and ask them to send a confirmation letter that it's has been paid. Then send it to the hospital. Thanks for the help!
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector would be the party most likely to report as a means to facilitate their collection.

I would offer a pay for not reporting to the debt collector.

If accepted, you then have a satisfied debt with no reporing of a collection.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.