cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding an old C/O

tag
ckdixon3629

Question Regarding an old C/O

Hey there! Quick question regarding an old C/O from a "very" small bank here in Texas (maybe 4 branches total). Back in 2007/2008 I had 2-3 loans with these guys that were all in very good standing and paid in full, as well as a bank account. Well all of the loans are reporting as positive lines on my report but I have a TL that was marked as C/O in December of 2009. 

Small backstory: I moved in mid-2009 to California and I "think" this is maybe my old bank account with them. My only guess is something was drafted from the account and it was overdrawn and I never looked back after switching to another Bank, but like I said this is only a guess. 

Anyways, my question is should I:

A) Send them a goodwill asking them to remove? I've already emailed asking them what it is, but I haven't received any response.

B) Send them a DV letter and/or dispute it with the CRAs

C) Just sit on the thing and wait until it falls off this year...at the very end of this year/next year I plan on applying for a mortgage so I would really like it off ASAP but that's mostly because I'm impatient. My main focus is my wife's credit report which I will be asking more questions on in the future.

I could wait if need be, I don't want to wake a sleeping giant! Thanks guys/gals

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Question Regarding an old C/O

Have you tried making an offer to pay?

There are other accesible reporting agencies beyond EQ, EX, and TU, ya know? I/E chexsystems, lexisnexis..etc,etc...
Just because you think it's gone, it's not, and can jeopardize your mortgage app.

Message 2 of 6
ckdixon3629

Thanks for the reply! I did send them an email (mentioned in my previous post) which did ask them what the debt was about but received no response. I also did say that I had several other good standing accounts and if this is something I do in fact owe them I'd like to make it right, but I need to know what it is first.

Message 3 of 6
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

I wouldn't wait on a response from an email. I'd call them up on the phone. A paid charge off looks better than an unpaid one on a manual review of your CR.
Message 4 of 6
ckdixon3629

Agreed, but upon making payment it would re-age the tradeline and hurt me further than it already has the last 6.5yrs would it not? So, maybe a PFD would be the best option here..

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are dealing with an original creditor, so the DV process does not apply.

in my opinion, I would contact them and make a personal plea for a PFD.

If they wont do a PFD, I would still pay prior to applying for a mortgage.

Just sitting on it wont satisfy the debt.

Credit report exclusion will make the presence of the unpaid debt unacessible by a simple pull of your credit report, but when applying for higher amounts of credit, you may be asked to disclose any unpaid debt.

Many mortgage lendors will require satisfaction of any unpaid delinquent debt prior to any loan approval.

Additionally, until satisfied, the OC can always refer the debt to a debt collector or sell the debt resulting in the addition of a collection, and further score damage.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.