Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AU Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about AU Accounts

My brother recently added me as an Authorized user on his Discover card. I currently have no open cards on my CR's. When he added me they did not ask for my social so how will it ever show up on my credit report?

Does anyone know how this works?

I was hoping having him add me to a card he barely ever uses and that is paid off monthly would help me. I'm just not sure when or if It will ever show up. Is there anything else that needs to be done to get it to show up?

Thanks in advance for any reponses

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about AU Accounts

I dont think it is possible to be added as an AU unless the cardholder provided your SSN.

How else would they identify you?

It is really the only unique personal identifier they can go by.

Have your brother call his CCC and ask if the AU status has been properly verified and accepted.  Not all CCCs even accept AU status on their accounts.

Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My brother recently added me as an Authorized user on his Discover card. I currently have no open cards on my CR's. When he added me they did not ask for my social so how will it ever show up on my credit report?

Does anyone know how this works?

I was hoping having him add me to a card he barely ever uses and that is paid off monthly would help me. I'm just not sure when or if It will ever show up. Is there anything else that needs to be done to get it to show up?

Thanks in advance for any reponses

I used to think that a SS# was needed for this but I've learned here that addresses and names are used to do this. I added my son to one of my cards without an SS#.

Yes being added as an AU can help you IF the account is older than any of yours, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. Discover does report AU's. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind. 

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message Edited by marinevietvet on 02-02-2010 11:20 PM
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Names are not unique, and addresses are not unique.  Many CR foul ups occur because of incorrect reporting based on name or address only.

I am not saying that it cannot be done, but SSN is clearly the best personal identifier.

Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

Names are not unique, and addresses are not unique.  Many CR foul ups occur because of incorrect reporting based on name or address only.

I am not saying that it cannot be done, but SSN is clearly the best personal identifier.

In your first post you said:

I dont think it is possible to be added as an AU unless the cardholder provided your SSN.

How else would they identify you?

It is really the only unique personal identifier they can go by.

You said two completely opposite things. I'm confused.

Message 5 of 7
FSUGAPEACH78
Regular Contributor

MarineVet- Can you please tell me if this is currently showing on your sons credit report? My dad added me to his Home Depot card today and they only asked for my DOB and address? Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@FSUGAPEACH78 wrote:

MarineVet- Can you please tell me if this is currently showing on your sons credit report? My dad added me to his Home Depot card today and they only asked for my DOB and address? Thanks!

Yes I answered you here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Authorized-User-Question/td-p/650555

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.