Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AU and keeping a credit card with a low AAoA

tag
tsally862
Valued Member

Question about AU and keeping a credit card with a low AAoA

Hi everyone,

I just got added to my father's credit card as an AU and wanted to ask, approximately what kind of increase in FICO score can I anticipate with this move? His AAoA is 10 years with no missed payments and 0% util every month, and my AAoA for all the credit cards is 3 years. I imagine this should help me a little I just wonder by how much.

I also have a question regarding one of my credit cards. The card is an Express credit card which I signed up for in 2010 but never use and all my other credit cards I got in 2007 and do use. From what I understand, the fact that the Express card is only 2 years old, it reduces my AAoA. So my question is, would it make sense to just close that account and if I did, would it increase my AAoA, therefore increase my FICO score?

Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ 606 TU 575 March 12th, 2012
Current Score: EX 639 EQ 618 TU 649
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about AU and keeping a credit card with a low AAoA

AAoA effect depends upon how many other accounts are included in the calculation.

Calculate the AAoA with and without.  A 3 yr AAoA based on only one account is far different than one based on multiple accounts.

Closing accounts does not remove them from AAoA.  They must be deleted to remove them, and deletion is at the discretion of the creditor.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.