Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AZEO method

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about AZEO method

I just want to make sure we use AZEO correctly: My husband has three cc’s. So he needs to keep the balance zero on two cards. The third cc should have a small balance of about 1% utilization. For the two cards with a zero balance, should he be using them so they remain active but just make sure those balances are zero by statement close? Or should he NOT use them at all and just let them rest at zero without any usage? I’ve read that not using a cc in 90 days is bad for scores. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about AZEO method

@Anonymouswrote:
I just want to make sure we use AZEO correctly: My husband has three cc’s. So he needs to keep the balance zero on two cards. The third cc should have a small balance of about 1% utilization. For the two cards with a zero balance, should he be using them so they remain active but just make sure those balances are zero by statement close? Or should he NOT use them at all and just let them rest at zero without any usage? I’ve read that not using a cc in 90 days is bad for scores. Thank you.

As long as they report 0% utilization to the CRAs, that's good.  So, I use my cards throughout the month, and then before the statement cuts, I pay them down to the desired utilization.

Not using a card is not bad for scores.  That's not a true statement!

Good luck!!

Message 2 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

You can absolutely use the two zero cards as you would normally throughout the month -  you just make sure to pay them to zero before the statement cut date so they report a zero balance. 

Note:  if you have to pay them a 3-5 days before the statement cuts to make sure the payment posts in time, you can't use the cards til the day after the statement cuts so not to accrue any new charges in that short period of time.  But many lenders post payments immediately - if your lenders do this, you don't have to pay nearly a week in advance - a day or two before is fine.   

Also - not using the card for 90+ days is not bad for your scores - but the lender may not like it too much which may result in a credit line decrease. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess I was confused... I thought not using a card in several months (3 months) would cause a score decrease. So I think to play it safe, my husband should use the other two zero cards at least minimally. I prefer he not use those two at all but I’m not sure iof the effect. He’s trying hard to get his score up to 620 so we can get preapproval for a home asap
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with your future home purchase!!

Message 5 of 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

There's just no solid evidence of inactivity of an open card in good standing, in and of itself, having a negative effect on FICO.

However, should the lender take adverse action (CLD or account closing) due to prolonged inactivity, that could certainly have an affect.

Caveat: Few people have reported a temporary score ding after having a previously inactive card (6 months or more) suddenly report a balance.

Bottom line, use each card for at least one purchase every 2-3 months to keep the lenders satisfied.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As everyone else stated, use cards as you normally would. Make sure you pay down balance before statement is issued. Look at your previous statements to see what the dates are that they close out each month. I've heard of some creditors closing out accounts when consumer has not used the card for a while. Just put small stupid charges if you need to on each card or alternate each month just to keep it active. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.