Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about EOS CCA reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about EOS CCA reporting

Situation:

During the Fall semester of 2010 I was attending a community college but ended up moving during the middle of the semester. I was no longer able to attend classes and was well past the drop date so I just quit attending.

For the Spring 2012 semester I was going to be attending a new school and when I requested my transcripts from the last school I learned I had a debt at the school. After calling and talking to the school I learned that I was required to repay the money I received for my Pell Grant since I quit going to classes. I PIF to the school and my transcript was released.

Recently I learned that EOS CCA has reported this collections account on Experian with the last reported date at the time I paid off the school. The school itself has reported this on Equifax. The first time that I heard of this debt was when I tried to get a transcript since I assume they were sending letters to my old address.

My questions are: A) Is it safe to assume that since I paid the school and not EOS CCA that the loan was never sold? B) Would a GW or dispute be the best way to go with EOS CCA? C) When writing the GW to the school is it better to say I never knew I owed this debt or just accept blame and ask for forgiveness?

Sorry if anything is unclear or I have left out any important information. Thanks for any help you are able to give.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about EOS CCA reporting

My questions are: A) Is it safe to assume that since I paid the school and not EOS CCA that the loan was never sold? B) Would a GW or dispute be the best way to go with EOS CCA? C) When writing the GW to the school is it better to say I never knew I owed this debt or just accept blame and ask for forgiveness?

My take....

If the OC no longer owned the debt, they were not authorized to accept payment against the debt, so yes, that is a good assumption.

As for the reporting of the collection, a debt collector is entitled to report the fact that they have/had collection authority any time after they have received assignment.

The fact that the debt was satisfied would only preclude reporting if the satisfaction occured prior to the assignment of collection authority, as payment of the debt does not negate that fact.

Debt collectors use credit reporting primarily as a collection tool, and if aware of satisfaction of the debt (which automatically terminates their collection authority), they most likely will not report.  However, nothing precludes their reporting after the debt was satisfied.

Seeing no inaccuracy upon which to base a dispute, a GW would be the best route.  First filing a dispute, which will not require any deletion on their part, may harden their receptiveness to any subsequent good-will.

If the OC never reported, then you have no issue of GW deletion with them.  They cannot delete the reporting made by the debt collector, even if their assigned agent.

Request for GW deletion of the reported collection should go to the debt collector.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help.

When I originally posted I believe the school itself did report that I was in collections but after looking at a different credit report I see that it was only EOS.

Message 3 of 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your help.

When I originally posted I believe the school itself did report that I was in collections but after looking at a different credit report I see that it was only EOS.

I sent you a PM with contact information to EOS-CCA

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heard great news back from EOS CCA after an email was sent to them Thursday night. They sent me an email this morning stating they would be removing the account from all three CR's. Thank you rckstrscott for the great contacts.

To try and help anyone else here is the GW email I sent.:

EOS CCA
700 LONGWATER DR
NORWELL, MA 02061

Account: xxxxx $xxx

Hi xxxxx,

During a recent credit report check I noticed the account referenced about and it is the reason I am contacting you today. I am currently working to rebuild my credit as my family and I are trying to buy a home in 2014. My family and I would be extremely grateful if your company would make a "Goodwill adjustment" and stop reporting this account to the credit agencies. I understand this request is asking a lot of your company, but let me assure you it would be with the utmost gratitude if you could honor this request. No matter what your decision is please let me thank you for taking the time to review my account.

Respectfully,
xxxxx

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.