Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Medical bill in collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Medical bill in collection

I have a few questions regarding a medical bill that has been on my report for a few years.

The details

OC: Willis Knighton South (Shreveport LA)

CA: Retail Merchants Association (Shreveport LA)

Amount: $2784.00

Placed into collection in 2014

I had to to go the the doctor in 2013 while I lived in Shrevport LA. I had BCBST insurance at the time and assumed that if I owed anything I would get a bill. I DID get a bill, but it was sent to my parents address in Chattanooga TN. Long story short, I didn't know about and didn't pay it. It was placed into collections and has been dragging my score down.

I have never had verbal communication with the CA and haven't contacted them. I decided to dispute the collections as "No knowledge of the account with Experian through their website and Transunion via credit Karma. After a month, Experian reported "Remains" on the dispute. I figured it was worth a shot. As for the TU dispute, as the 30 dispute window began to close I started receiving phone calls and voice mails from the CA. I didn't answer and expected to dispute to come back as validated. On the 30th day I received an email from credit karma saying the collection was deleted!! My score increased 33 points and I was elated.

I'm now realizing that my excitement might not last. So here are the questions.

1) Will the CA relist the collection?

2) Why would it have been deleted?

3) Why wouldn't it  have been deleted from Experian

4) Can i contact the OC and try to offer a payment plan? Would that keep the collection from relisting?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Gpat

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Medical bill in collection

I had a similar size bill from 2014 that I took care of last month. I called the oc and the hospitals billing department still had the debt even though the agency is reporting it. I paid them in full minus a 10% discount and then sent a gw letter once the payment cleared. I have no idea if it was the gw or if the hospital just pulled it back from the ca but the acct was deleted a couple of weeks ago.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had similar success with medical data systems. Disputed over the phone as "no knowledge" and they were all removed around the 20 day mark. Didn't see a big increase at all but I still have baddies.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to note, I had to do this twice. TU deleted on the first attempt, exp and eq deleted on the second attempt.
Message 4 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

1) Will the CA relist the collection?
Possibly.
2) Why would it have been deleted?
They may not have responded.
3) Why wouldn't it have been deleted from Experian
They may have responded.
4) Can i contact the OC and try to offer a payment plan?
You can.
Would that keep the collection from relisting?
Not necessarily. If they no longer have collection authority then they can't, bur if they still have the authority then they can report it at any point until the end of the credit reporting time period (7.5 years)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.