cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Midland DV/PFD Attempt (My Letter)

tag
SoshiHomie84
New Contributor

Question about Midland DV/PFD Attempt (My Letter)

Quick question. If I send Midland a DV, (it's within the 30 days), they must cease their collection, right? Is that the same thing as removing from my credit reports until they validate, or are they allowed to continue reporting the collection on my reports, and just barred from contacting me about the collection?

I have included my letter below. If there is any language that may need corrected, please let me know. 

To Whom It May Concern:

There is a collection debt from Midland Credit Management of $436 on my credit reports at all three credit reporting agencies. The date of first delinquency of this debt is February 2009. Thus, being a resident of the state of Virginia, where the statue of limitations is either 3-5 years, depending upon interpretation,  this debt is beyond that statute and is not collectable in court.

Furthermore, this collection was added to my credit report in January 2014 without written notice. While reporting before mailing a dunning notice is not illegal, FTC advisory opinions and case law has interpreted reporting to a credit reporting agency as an act ("initial communication") that triggers dunning notice requirements under section 809(a) of the FDCPA.

Therefore, Midland is currently illegally reporting a collection on my credit report by violating my right to timely address the impact of this collection within 5 days of their "initial communication." The aforementioned communication took place in January 2014 when Midland began reporting to Equifax, Transunion, and Experian. One of the primary intents of FDCPA 809(a) is to ensure that consumers are timely aware of collection activity so that it can be addressed promptly. By reporting this collection without informing me in a timely manner, Midland is effectively in violation of the FDCPA.

Be advised, this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed, validation is requested, and collection activities must cease until the time that you are able to validate the debt.

Furthermore, if the debt is validated,  I am willing to make a payment for the full amount listed as "Past Due" ($436) IF Midland will agree to delete this derogatory collection and any associated negative reporting regarding this collection from all three credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian). This offer to pay for deletion is in no way an admission that the debt is mine. It is merely an offer to pay Midland for prompt deletion of this collection from my credit files.

Should Midland validate the debt, please reply via postal mail on company letterhead stating that you will delete all negative information from each credit reporting agency upon remittance of payment for the full balance listed; $436.

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about Midland DV/PFD Attempt (My Letter)

Since they are already reporting, no, they do not need to delete.  Just barred from further collection activity until they do.

I would not send that letter.   A DV should not be mixed with a PFD and the DV should be a simple letter asking them to validate per FDCPA 809.

They do not have to respond to a DV and by using so much legalese, they may never respond.

Message 2 of 13
SoshiHomie84
New Contributor

I just want this removed.

I feel like a PFD is best, but Midland doesn't have a good history agreeing to those. Considering this is beyond the SOL, it seems they should be more willing to comply, but I doubt it. 

Should I just remove the PFD portion of the letter and simplify my desire to DV? I know the debt is valid, I just want to increase my chances of getting it deleted and condisering they did not notify me before reporting, they are in the wrong here. 

What would you do?

Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

First I would send them a simple DV.  "You are reporting this account______on my credit reports.  Per FDCPA 809, please validate.  Include the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the debt".

If they validate, offer them a PFD.  If they refuse, then I would use the other things, such as violating the FDCPA by not sending a dunning notice in the required time.

There is no law that says they have to notify you prior to reporting.  They should have after they reported though.

Message 4 of 13
SoshiHomie84
New Contributor

Technically there is not law, but FTC Advisory Opinions have interpreted reporting as being equivalent to an initial communication. It's definitely a grey area though, no doubt. 

Once I send them a DV, should they choose not to reply, in a month or two then what would be my course of action?

Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 13
SoshiHomie84
New Contributor

It's reporting as a collection of a First Premier charge off. 

I don't see any inaccuracies in the reporting other than on EQ it shows as 120+ late rather than solely a collection account. 

Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They can report 120 days late if that was the status of the account when they acquired the debt.

Message 8 of 13
SoshiHomie84
New Contributor

The status of the debt when acquired would have been charge off. I am nearly certain of that. The debt has changed hands many times over the last 5 years. 

Message 9 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Well, it is a charge off but they can report the 120 days late which led to the charge off.  The charge off is just an accounting term. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.