Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about PFD'ing an OC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about PFD'ing an OC

I want to PFD an OC (Brighthouse Cable) for a small debt $110. The debt was sent to collections but it's within the SOL. Don't know why I never paid it. I think it was a final bill that I thought I paid when when I turned in the equipment. That's what I think happened anyway and I only just realized there was a debt when I started dealing with my credit. Brighthouse is constantly trying to lure me back to them, so why would I think I owed them money still?

1) Do I just call up Brighthouse's regular customer service line and tell the CSR what I want to do and they'll connect me to whoever I need to speak to? 

2) Has anyone ever had experience/success PFD'ing a Brighthouse debt?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cabner
New Contributor

Re: Question about PFD'ing an OC

Who has the collection?   I had a Brighthouse Cable go to collections, called them up they took payment and pulled back from the CA with no issue. 

Starting Scores 12/28/2014: TU: 599 EX: 599 EQ: 568

Current Scores: TU: 675 EX: 664 EQ: 620
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cabner wrote:

Who has the collection?   I had a Brighthouse Cable go to collections, called them up they took payment and pulled back from the CA with no issue. 

The collection is with Credit Protection Association. 

Did you just call the regular Brighthouse customer service line? Any particular department I need to ask for?

And when you paid, the negative TL came off your report, right?

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

When you call the OC you ask them to recall the CA, this cancels their collection authority and if they have no authority to collect they cannot report the collection, then you proceed to pay off the OC once they agree to it.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the helpful answers. This one gets done Monday!

Then my wife and I are down to only 3 baddies and our rehabbing loans between us.

Message 5 of 10
cassett
Contributor

have you had luck wiht this? Ive tried this before and they just send me to the CA

Starting Score: EQ 8/14 545
Current Score: EQ 640
Goal Score:650 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
cabner
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@cabner wrote:

The collection is with Credit Protection Association. 

Did you just call the regular Brighthouse customer service line? Any particular department I need to ask for?

And when you paid, the negative TL came off your report, right?

Yes, I just called their regular customer service number.  About a  month after I paid it came off my credit report like they said it would.  My collection was also with Credit Protection.  I couldn't recall when I first posted, so I looked it up.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Why are you not simply sending a normal PFD to the debt collector?

If they accept, you dont need to get the OC to first terminate a business decision they obviously decided was in their interest.....

Message 8 of 10
cabner
New Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

If they accept, you dont need to get the OC to first terminate a business decision they obviously decided was in their interest.....

I contacted the OC because the CA's letter was the first I heard about my owing OC anything beyond the last bill I had received and paid.   I wanted to find out why I was never given the opportunity to pay them (OC).  

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cabner wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

I contacted the OC because the CA's letter was the first I heard about my owing OC anything beyond the last bill I had received and paid.   I wanted to find out why I was never given the opportunity to pay them (OC).  

I feel the same way. I feel like I never got the opportunity to pay the OC because looking through my credit report was the first I knew about this bill. And from what I've researched, especially if I ever want to get an account with the OC again, since it's a local utility, I want to handle the debt with them. AND we should all try not to feed the JDB's as much as possible. So always try to pay the OC.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.