Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about PIF garnishment.

tag
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Question about PIF garnishment.

I just currently gain some extra money that I can use to pay off a garnishment that's being deducted from my pay check.  I just want to know is there any special steps I need to take before I call the original creditors to get that paid in full, so it will stop being taken out of my pay check?

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about PIF garnishment.

Anyone have any ideas, or should I just call and pay it off"?

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

Message 2 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

You're not being ignored. I just don't think the right person has read your post yet who can give you a proper answer. I know I have NO idea what to do about this.

Hang in there.

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Garnishments of your paycheck would be handled by the same people who produce your paycheck.   Depending on how big the company you work for is, there has to be a payroll department or an individual who handles the payroll.

Message 4 of 8
raine22
Regular Contributor

I do payroll and I know if I'm ordered by the courts to deduct a garnishment from a person's wages I have to continue to do so until I get a notice from the court otherwise.  Previous experience this happend to one of our employees and once he settled the debt they released the garnishment and the courts sent me notifcation to stop deductiion.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stoopidmunkee wrote:

I just currently gain some extra money that I can use to pay off a garnishment that's being deducted from my pay check.  I just want to know is there any special steps I need to take before I call the original creditors to get that paid in full, so it will stop being taken out of my pay check?

Is the garnishment the result of a court judgment?

You could contact the judgment creditor and tell them you want to pay off the judgment.  Have them give you a notarized General Release and a Staisfaction of Judgment when you pay them.  Once the judgment is satisfied, garnishment should stop.

Message 6 of 8
stoopidmunkee
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stoopidmunkee wrote:

You could contact the judgment creditor and tell them you want to pay off the judgment.  Have them give you a notarized General Release and a Staisfaction of Judgment when you pay them.  Once the judgment is satisfied, garnishment should stop.

Yea it was an result of a court judgment.  I'm really worried they won't count what they took out of my bank accounts as going towards the amount that owed.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stoopidmunkee wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@stoopidmunkee wrote:

Yea it was an result of a court judgment.  I'm really worried they won't count what they took out of my bank accounts as going towards the amount that owed.

You never know until you try.

In any event, usually they are entitled to fees & costs plus interest so that will likely make your balance owed higher.  Also, almost every bank charges a fee when they have to process legal papers on an account holder. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.