Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a Charge Off from OC

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Question about a Charge Off from OC

Hey everyone I am down to my last couple of baddies one being a 135 dollar charge off from a gas company for a bill that I didn't know I even owed until I checked my reportsthe first of this year , anyways my question. Is that this is listed under Accounts on my reports , I opened the first account with them back in 01 then moved then reopened a new account last year , well when we moved I never got any final bills and my assuming my deposit covered it all , I know that was stupid of me but ...anyways if I pay to delete this will it take my Age of accounts down? Right now they are 14 yrs and 8 mths for the oldest which I can't figure out if it's that charge off account which makes it that age or my student loan . Are charge off accounts included in the age thing ?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about a Charge Off from OC

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Hey everyone I am down to my last couple of baddies one being a 135 dollar charge off from a gas company for a bill that I didn't know I even owed until I checked my reportsthe first of this year , anyways my question. Is that this is listed under Accounts on my reports , I opened the first account with them back in 01 then moved then reopened a new account last year , well when we moved I never got any final bills and my assuming my deposit covered it all , I know that was stupid of me but ...anyways if I pay to delete this will it take my Age of accounts down? Right now they are 14 yrs and 8 mths for the oldest which I can't figure out if it's that charge off account which makes it that age or my student loan . Are charge off accounts included in the age thing ?

All accounts on your CRs factor into your AAoA.   So yes, a PFD could lower your AAoA, but you will get a boost from removal of negative reporting.  Bear in mind that 10% of your FICO score is based on AAoA, but 30% of your score is based on payment history.  So the positive of improved payment history should easily offset a drop in AAoA.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

To add to what Sunrise Earth stated, you can request only that they delete the charge-off and other derogs, not the entire account.

Additionally, it is common after having taken a charge-off to either refer or sell to a debt collector, which will likely then add a collection to your report.

Getting the debt paid may prevent more damage in the form of a new collection.

Message 3 of 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

OK thanks guys I'll see what I can get done !
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Both are right on with their answers and I think the biggest matter of importance is it being a negative that you at the lesst, do not want reporting this way. I hope you have success getting this removed.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks I am trying to get them to agree to remove the negative marks
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.