Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a Medical Debt

tag
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

Question about a Medical Debt

I am confused on when my seven years would start on my medical bill. Is it not the same as Credit Cards, Loans etc..? I have a medical collection on my reports. TU and EX have the same one for $998. On my TU report it says placed into collections on 11/07/2006 estimated month for removal is 09/2013.
On my EX report is says date of 1st delinquency was 10/2006. So they are both close on reporting dates. Here is my main question. I had these services done on 1/17/06 I am looking at the bill. They Charged my insurance on 1/31/06. I never paid a dime. So would my actual DoFD be after my insurance paid their part or when I had the services done?
Maybe I am just thinking to hard. If by some crazy chance the seven years would be up soon, what would be my next step?
One other thing I can see looking further into this is that the DoFD on my reports are from when the account was assigned to the collection agency.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Question about a Medical Debt

@Mondavi wrote:

I am confused on when my seven years would start on my medical bill. Is it not the same as Credit Cards, Loans etc..? I have a medical collection on my reports. TU and EX have the same one for $998. On my TU report it says placed into collections on 11/07/2006 estimated month for removal is 09/2013.
On my EX report is says date of 1st delinquency was 10/2006. So they are both close on reporting dates. Here is my main question. I had these services done on 1/17/06 I am looking at the bill. They Charged my insurance on 1/31/06. I never paid a dime. So would my actual DoFD be after my insurance paid their part or when I had the services done?
Maybe I am just thinking to hard. If by some crazy chance the seven years would be up soon, what would be my next step?
One other thing I can see looking further into this is that the DoFD on my reports are from when the account was assigned to the collection agency.

The actual law is 7 years plus 180 days. (But 7 yrs just rolls off the tongue easier.)

I don't know if this is different for medical.  And I'm not sure, but i think we can't talk about hippa and medical bills on this forum so, don't take what i say as advice.

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Normally with medical bills, payment is expected as services are rendered.  So I would go by the date of service.  Have you tried a PFD for these?  They're pretty old, I'd see if they'd settle for like 30% and delete.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When the service was rendered, there was some agreement as to its due date for payment.  The date of delinquency would be when it was due. 

if you walked out of the office without required payment, there was some agreement as to when it was due, or they sent a bill setting a due date.

That is the DOFD.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.