Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a car account not "falling off" my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about a car account not "falling off" my credit report

If I send the letter to them, should I ask for the entire account to be removed or just the repo. The repo part is what I assume is keeping it in the negative column. I dont really understand exactly how anything else could be making it negative cause it doesn't list any of the payment history at all. So it would have to be the repo part I would assume. I just don't want this to drag my credit down for another 5 years.

Message 11 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If I send the letter to them, should I ask for the entire account to be removed or just the repo. The repo part is what I assume is keeping it in the negative column. I dont really understand exactly how anything else could be making it negative cause it doesn't list any of the payment history at all. So it would have to be the repo part I would assume. I just don't want this to drag my credit down for another 5 years.

It would be better if they just removed the repo entry instead of the entire TL (Trade Line). If you lose the entire TL you will lose any positive effect it might have on your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) and credit length history.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 12 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm trying to get some input from members who are MUCH smarter than I am and get their opinions. If I hear back from them I will share it with you.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 13 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 605(a) states:

"Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information:

(5) Any other adverse item of information, other than records of convictions of crimes, which antedate the report by more than seven years."

A repo is an adverse item of information, and reference thereto after 7 years is prohibited.  Any credit report that contains any reference to that adverse item of information is thus a violation of FCRA 605(a)(5).  That is not limited to only the initial reporting of the repo, it would include later references to payment status that refers to that adverse item of information.  I would file a complaint with the CRA for their violation of FCRA 605(a)(5) for their continued inclusion of reference to this adverse item of information in your credit report by continued reference to payment after occurance of that adverse item of information.  The repo is still, indirectly, being included in your CR.  They just did not do a thorough job of deletion of reference to this adverse item, and you are entitled to its removal.

As for reporting of DOFD, once any DOFD is reported to your credit file, it remains until two things occur.  One, the account is brought back into paid, good standing, and two, a new date of first delinquency occurs.  However, the DOFD has absolutely no relevance once an account is brought back into good standing, as it will never be used by the CRA to calculate a CR exclusion date based on a first delinquency in the most recent chain of delinquencies, so it remains simply as a place-holder.  The prior DOFD is not erased, a new one that has not yet occured is just not reported.    A credtior cannot charge-off an account in good standing, or place it for collection, until a new delinquency occurs.  DOFD is only relevant to the calculation of the CR exclusion period under FCRA 605(a)(4)/605c, and has no other purpose under the FCRA.  An old DOFD in your CR may be totally meaningless.

Here is a sample scenario:

3/2002  new account opened           DOFD reported:   credit file contains NO reported DOFD.  It is a blank entry.

5/2003  a 30-day late occurs           DOFD:  5/2003 (if reported;  there is no requirement to actually report any DOFD until after a charge-off or collection referral)

6/2003  a 60-day late occurs           DOFD: remains 5/2003, if one was reported

7/2003  account paid, in good standing    DOFD:  remains 5/2003, if one was reported

8/2003  account paid as agreed     DOFD: remains 5/2003, if one was reported, but is now irrelevant

9/2003 a 30-day late occurs            DOFD:  if reported, must update to 9/2003

10/2003-12/2003  60/90/120 lates reported    DOFD, if reported, must remain 9/2003

1/2004  a charge-off or collection is reported    DOFD:  Mandatory reporting of a DOFD is required within 90-days of the CO or collection referral, with a date of 9/2003

That becomes the first legally-mandated DOFD reporting, and must be 9/2003

3/2004  account is paid                    DOFD in credit file remains 9/2003; any CO or collection must cease credit report inclusion after 3/2011

And, needless to say, it is not reporting of the account that must cease after the required date under FCRA 605(a), it is only the inclusion of the adverse item of information under that account.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for their help. Last post was informative but also alot to take in.

The company is Toyota. Yesterday I spoke with them and the lady gave me an address for the credit dispute department.

She also gave me a fax number to fax a letter to, that she said would speed up the process.

The problem is Im not even sure what exactly to ask them. Do I ask them to remove the repo part only due to the 7 year rule?

Or do I ask them to accurately assign a date to the repo so then Equifax will let it fall off?

Technically the repo happened so Im not sure if they are likely go back and remove that part only. Im also worried they will instead

re-report the late payments, and they will just add more problems.I don't exactly trust anything Toyota does, unfortunately.

Its only even listed on Equifax, so I dont want the other 2 reports getting the info either.

Again, appreciate everyones help. As you can tell, I know very little about all this stuff.

Message 15 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone for their help. Last post was informative but also alot to take in.

The company is Toyota. Yesterday I spoke with them and the lady gave me an address for the credit dispute department.

She also gave me a fax number to fax a letter to, that she said would speed up the process.

The problem is Im not even sure what exactly to ask them. Do I ask them to remove the repo part only due to the 7 year rule?

Or do I ask them to accurately assign a date to the repo so then Equifax will let it fall off?

Technically the repo happened so Im not sure if they are likely go back and remove that part only. Im also worried they will instead

re-report the late payments, and they will just add more problems.I don't exactly trust anything Toyota does, unfortunately.

Its only even listed on Equifax, so I dont want the other 2 reports getting the info either.

Again, appreciate everyones help. As you can tell, I know very little about all this stuff.

I think I would try and contact Toyota and ask that their reporting to the CRA's be updated because the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period) for the repo has expired. Try and emphasize that you don't want the entire TL deleted just the notation about the repo.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.